Surprisingly, despite the fact that I’m seven months pregnant, I’m not referring to a food craving here. Think back in your life to times when you can identify traveling through the valley. You know, times when circumstances seem bleak, you may be questioning "Why' certain things are occurring, and if you are anything like me (scary thought, perhaps) at those time you crave the Lord. You crave His word, time with Him, and do whatever you can to feel His presence.
Thinking about a particular time?
Well then, fast forward from that time to one shortly after, when the circumstances that caused your travel through the valley had changed - maybe a month or two after coming out of your valley. Did you still crave the Lord?
I hope you did.
Unfortunately, I find myself falling into an unhealthy pattern with regard to my personal peaks and valleys. During the 'valley-times' I am consistent in my quiet time, I seek God's guidance in virtually everything, stay in contact with people who can and will pray for me and hold me accountable, and have conversations in my head with Him almost all day long, trying to discern His guidance and grabbing hold of His promises. I understand my NEED for Him desperately during these times because my circumstances are simply too much for me.
But then something changes.
It certainly isn't Him, because He doesn't change. According to Hebrews 13:8 (NIV), we know that ‘Jesus Christ is the yesterday and today and forever.’ So the change that occurs must lead back to me. I change. When my circumstances aren't so bleak, when He's brought me out of yet another valley, I change. My attitude changes. My focus changes. For some strange reason, I feel like I can handle things on my own and I don't NEED Him as much. I don't seek Him as much, and my spiritual-discipline slowly fades away.
How crazy is that?
The very guidance, strength and promises that I NEED during the valleys are the same guidance, strength and promises I NEED when my circumstances have changed and He's now placed me on the top of the mountain. I NEED Him in all situations.
Is it any wonder that He continues to allow me to go through valleys, since it is during those times I'm closest to Him?
“Come near to God, and He will come near to you…” James 4:8 (NIV)
Lord, help me to draw closer to you not only in the valleys of my life, but in times when my arrogance and self-sufficiency rise up and I feel I can make it on my own. Help me to remember that no matter what my circumstances may be that my need for you never changes.
No comments:
Post a Comment