So we are still having behavioral issues at school with Tatum. After a discussion with her about her behavior and how to improve upon it, she came up with her own sticker reward system on her calendar for good days both at school and Kids Klub, and a check mark on the days when she behaved well in one or the other.
There aren't many stickers on the calendar.
Needless to say, her daddy and I are frustrated with her choices and behavior. We've talked behavior and choices until we're blue in the face. We have read scripture to her, we have read scripture with her, we have disciplined, we have tried many different things in an attempt to get her to comply with the rules.
The difficult thing for me is to differentiate her behavior from her many times.
She isn't bad - she makes bad choices. Her choices don't define who she is and don't make up the essence of her being.
I still love and adore my daughter, but I don't love and adore the choices that she makes and when she is in the midst of those behaviors, I don't want to be around her.
Hmmm....anyone see any parallels there with our Heavenly Father? It's amazing how much more insight we're able to glean into Him as a heavenly father after being a parent.
At any rate, I occasionally get a glimpse into Tatum's essence...who she really is...and her true sweet self really shines through. I was able to get one such glimpse this week, and it was sorely needed.
Let me explain......
We were discussing her upcoming birthday and planning some party options when she decided she wanted to have a giving party. She told me that she had enough toys already and she wanted to take all of the toys that her friends brought to her party for her and give them to someone who needed them more than she did.
I told her to go tell her daddy, who was about as dumbfounded as I was. (He even posted about it on Facebook, which happens maybe once or twice a year!)
I frequently purge the toys with the kids, and I use that type of language when we do that process to help them understand why we get rid of toys they don't play with or they have outgrown. I will say that I wasn't sure whether the idea of a giving party would be a fleeting one or if it would actually stick.
The next morning, she made a point to ask her daddy if she was going to be able to have a giving birthday party.
It apparently stuck.
Our plan is to have her friends donate toys in the 4-6 year old range for Aggieland Pregnancy Outreach, specifically their Mama Club program. If you are reading this and feel led to donate something to this ministry, please feel free to do so. A large and constant need for this ministry is diapers and wipes for the girls who participate in Mama Club.
No comments:
Post a Comment