Sunday, July 31, 2005

Accomplishments

You know those days when you really feel like you got something done? Well, that is how I'm going to allow myself to feel about this weekend. My to-do list was long, and not everything is crossed off, but my strong Type-A personality is going to enjoy and relish in what did get crossed off that list, which is a change in attitude for me. Normally I let myself feel guilty about what didn't get done instead of focusing on the accomplishments, but I'm not going to do that today. Here are some of the things that Matt and I were able to get done this weekend:

  • laundry (all of it-done and put away)
  • vacuumed the house (and got rid of most of the Bailey-hair - those of you with dogs should understand that)
  • trash taken out (twice, actually)
  • dishes (ditto, see above)
  • dissassembled Kellen's changing table (more on this later)
  • rearranged living room (moved Kellen's table & chair set to his bedroom)
  • dust-buster hung up in laundry room
  • grass mowed (not weed-eated, but mowed)
  • renewed vehicle registration for car & truck (due in July....procrastinate much?)
  • restocked freezer with meat from locker
  • cleaned ceiling fan (one was all that I could handle - YIKES...I'll do the other one later)
  • rearranged a few items in our bedroom
  • made a big batch of pancakes for Kellen for the week (hopefully they'll last that long)
  • made a big batch of breakfast taco's for the week
  • purchased the correct sandpaper so that I can continue work on bathroom (I will get this painted, I will get this painted...)
  • old grill fixed and taken to the station
  • pedicure and toenails painted

WHEW! I know this may seem odd to list this, but I'm really going to make, er...allow myself to NOT feel guilty about what didn't get done this weekend.

So the changing table...ahhh. We're getting ready to move Kellen to a big boy twin bed (which we said we were going to have done by his birthday...hmmm) and we'll need some more room to be able to do this. He's getting too big for the changing table anyway...and I have barely used it in the past two weeks or so...So why was it so hard for me to take that thing apart? (No, not literally. There were just a few screws). But as I was taking it apart I just realized that this piece of furniture has been such a huge part of each and every day of Kellen's life for the past two years...and it's just another obvious example of how he's growing up. And it just made me a little sad. As I placed the pieces of the changing table against the wall in what I call the back room (yes, I know it's in the front of the house), I leaned them against the piece of the crib that we removed when we transformed Kellen's crib into a toddler bed two months ago. Just another reminder of our boy getting bigger. Then I moved Kellen's table and chair set into his room where the changing table had been. I'm trying to think in stages about this transition. When the twin bed comes in, the rocking chair will go out and into our room (hence the rearranging of our bedroom) and the table and chair will then move to where the rocking chair currently sits. I think that will about cover it for his room...

Now, let me move to Kellen's BIG accomplishment for the day. Like I mentioned in my to-do list, I made a big batch of pancakes this morning. While Kellen and I were eating them, Kellen looked at me and said, "Penis hurt." (Bear with me, this will all make sense soon). I responded with, "Your penis hurts?" to which he replied, "Yes. Kellen penis hurt." I asked Kellen if he needed to go pee-pee. "Yes, Kellen pee-pee." Then I asked him if he wanted to go pee-pee in the potty and then come back and eat the rest of his pancakes. "Yes, Kellen pee-pee potty." I know, I know...it's taking Mommy a while to catch on to this whole thing. So, I grab the washcloth and wipe off his hands (he had been eating pancakes with syrup), and off to the potty we go. Shorts off, diaper off, training toilet seat on and there he goes. As he's sitting on the potty, he looks at me and says, "Mommy away." So I walk down the hallway a little and wait. Then I hear a little tinkle-splash in the potty and a flushing sound. I walk into the bathroom and ask if he had peed. "Yes. Kellen pee-pee potty. All through."

My little boy is growing up. And I haven't even bought any training pants, not even the pull-up kind, yet. Oh boy.

This leads me to the bathroom issue. Last October (yes, October) I got the wild hair to redo the spare bathroom. I started on the project in a very diligent fashion, working on it every night for a week after Kellen went to sleep. Then I got a staph infection that prohibited virtually any arm movements at all - hence the end to the motivation streak for that project. So now with the munchkin-man needing access to the bathroom on a more regular basis, I've rediscovered my motivation to complete this particular project. I've patched the various wall cracks, and now that we have the sandpaper I can get going. I need to sand down the caulk, then prime and paint, which doesn't sound too bad, right? Goal for self - get this done before the fall semester starts up.

1 comment:

  1. Girl. If you don't finish at least 101 projects a weekend you feel lazy. *shaking head* There are only a few women in the world that I would hand the "Natural Wonder Woman" title to, but you are one of them. *hugs* Don't beat up on yourself!

    On a side note, just to make you understand what TRUE procrastination is...

    I also registered my car, for the first time in NY State, and applied for my NY Driver's Licence as well, on...wait for it...Friday. Yes, last friday, the 29th, as in 6+ months after I moved to this lovely happy state. Well over the 30 time limit for sure. They don't make a word strong enough for that. :)

    Luv ya!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete