Friday, January 25, 2008

Cloth Chronicles, Part 1

So I found a GREAT deal on some Fuzzi bunz (In case you want to check them out, although I didn't order them from that site - pocket style cloth diapers) from a local mom, got them ready for Tatum, and we tried them out last night. I put two inserts in the diaper (and realized that I will probably need some size larges for nighttime in the process), and went for it!

I was hesitant to have our first cloth diapering experience be an overnight one, but hey...why not jump right on into this? If I'm going to do it, just do it...and the nighttime would probably be the biggest worrisome challenge...so there we went.

So....I go in this morning, and there were NO leaks. However, she did have a nice, HUGE poopy waiting for me. What a great first cloth experience, huh? :) Seriously, it wasn't all that big of a deal.

Anyway, I took a stack to daycare today to have them try them out on her as well. Success! Although, I must admit that she was nicer to them than she was to me...no poopies at school today, but another one for Mommy just as soon as we got home! Fun stuff, right?

So, I am currently in the process of washing our first load of soiled diapers. For my own reference, I'll include my version of washing instructions here:

Washing:
1. Dump the dump (optional)

2. Rinse cycle on COLD (no detergent or anything added to the washer)

3. Wash cycle on HOT wash with COLD rinse with detergent added - half as much as normal (I have All Free and Clear, Can also use 4 TBSP of Dawn in place of the laundry detergent and/or add ~ 1/2 cup baking soda to the wash cycle in addition to the detergent/soap); Note: not supposed to use Clorox bleach or any fabric softener)

4. Second rinse cycle (Add ~ 1/4 - 1/2 cup vinegar to this IF using baking soda in the wash cycle)

5. Dryer (NO Dryer Sheet)

Now I just need to figure out the wetbag issue for both the house and daycare, and probably get both some larger size diapers for nighttime and some thinner inserts as well. She's a little bulky - but looks just adorable waddling around!

I think we're getting there. The true test will be after about a week or so, I think.

I'll keep you posted on this front.

In other news...she visited the Guppy classroom today for 2 whole hours....had lunch with them and everything! Then she went back to "her" class (I can say that for one more week) and I came to see her at lunch, then she had a GREAT nap (almost 2 whole hours, which is wonderful for her). We're going to have to work on her naps...trying to transition her from small catnaps or an early morning nap to one long nap immediately after lunch.

We'll work on that this weekend, I guess.

In other news, Kellen is still loving his Little Dragons class, and is paying attention more and more each lesson. He's actually doing really well! I'm amazed at what he's able to comprehend and "show" us later! He's like a little sponge!





Matt worked with him yesterday morning a little bit on the first step in tying his shoe. So he proceeded to show me what Daddy had taught him this morning - and did it correctly. I guess that's one more thing we'll start working on with him, too.

On the way home from school today, he asked to read one of the books that we keep in the car. Well, he began to point out all of the letters and pictures, then started telling me what letters the words/pictures started with. I guess he's officially in the pre-reading stage now.

Where did my babies go?

1 comment:

  1. Is that Karate he's taking??? I didn't know he was in karate? You have to give me more information on that. I would love, at some point, to get Brooke into it so maybe she'll 'assert' herself more. LOL

    ReplyDelete