Monday, April 25, 2011

Resurrection Cookies

On Saturday I was reminded of an Easter preparation activity that I usually forget to plan for and do with the kids...Resurrection cookies.

My friend Melissa has blogged about these cookies for a couple of years now, and every time I read about it, I think to myself, "I'll remember that activity next year."

I hadn't remembered so far.

But this year, I was determined.  Not that I remembered any sooner than in years past, but I just decided to go for it.  Luckily, when I looked up the directions and needed ingredients on Saturday afternoon, I had a friend who just happened to have pecans, and her hubby just happened to be coming over to pick up some dress shoes for their daughter for her Easter outfit.

So we went for it.

You will need:
1 cup whole pecans (or pieces)
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
ziploc baggy
wooden spoon
scotch tape
Bible

To be made the night before Easter:
Preheat oven to 300

Put the pecans into the ziploc baggy.  Let the kids beat the pecans with the wooden spoon.
Read: John 19:1-3
Explain that Jesus was arrested and beaten by the Roman soldiers.

Let the kids smell and/or taste the vinegar. Put 1 tsp vinegar into a mixing bowl.
Read: John 19:28-30
Explain that when Jesus was thirty on the cross, he was given vinegar to drink.

Add egg whites to vinegar.
Read: John 10:10-11
Explain that eggs represent life and that Jesus gave his life so we could have eternal life.

Sprinkle salt into the kids hands. Let them taste it and put the rest into the mixing bowl with the vinegar and eggs.
Read: Luke 23:27
Explain that when Jesus died, his followers mourned and cried for him and the salt represents their tears and all of our sins he died for.

So far the ingredients are 'yucky'.

Add 1 cup sugar.
Read: Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16
Explain that the sweet part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us and wanted to provide a way for us to live with Him in heaven.

Beat with mixer on High for 12-15 minutes.
Read: Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3
Explain that the color white represents purity in God's eyes. Those who have accepted Jesus and have been cleansed by His sacrifice are viewed as pure in God's eyes.

Fold in broken nuts.
Read: Matthew 27:57-60
Explain that each cookie mound represents the tomb where they laid Jesus' body.

Put the cookie sheet in the oven. Close the door and turn OFF the oven.

Give each kid a piece of tape and have them seal the oven door with the tape.
Read: Matthew 27:65-66
Explain that the tomb of Jesus was sealed with a large rock.

Go to bed.
Read: John 16:20 & John 16:22
If they're sad to leave the cookies, explain that the followers of Jesus were sad to see him die and placed in a tomb.

On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. Discover that the cookies are hollow! 
Read: Matthew 28:1-9
Explain that on the first Easter, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.

Taken from Annie's Resurrection Cookies Page.

The kids certainly didn't stay in the frame of mind that I would have liked for them to during this activity. I think at certain points in time it took all their daddy had to keep a straight face and try to get them back on track, but I still think the message got through. I would imagine that some families manage to do an activity like this perhaps without having to correct their children, or have them stop laughing at some random thing one of them did, but I think what's important is that we're doing things to try and drive home the true meaning of the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment