In this midst of changing a nose-holding-worthy pull-up, I was doing a not-so-hot job of answering 20 questions from Tatum (because I am, of course, trying to be more aware of and not contribute to her 'middle-child syndrome', right?).
But I got flustered.
And my flustered tone can sound a lot like my angry tone to my kids, especially when I have asked them just to get dressed and go eat and we are going to be late again and why are we always late and can't I answer your questions later and WHY aren't you dressed yet....And, well.....you get the point.
After I dealt with the aftermath of the pull-up, I walked into the kitchen, where Kellen asked if I was angry. I then had to explain 'flustered' to him and after doing so, he proceeded to tell me about his devotional from earlier in the morning.....about praying to God for peace in stressful situations or when I got flustered.
'If you ask him, he can give you peace in the most irritating situations.'
It was an awesome and humbling experience to have my 9-year old son speak such a truthfully simply, yet profound statement to me this morning.
His comments stayed with me all day, and I can tell you, they not only helped me have a better morning, but a better day.
Points to Ponder
- What simple truths do you need reminding about today?
- Do you trust that He will give you peace in the most irritating situations? In the situations that don't seem to lend themselves to peace?
- What lesson might you need to learn from the situation?
I have thought about all of these questions - yes, even in the midst of answering 20 questions and cleaning up stinky pull-ups.
Oh I just love this! Such a simple reminder of a simple truth and what a special moment to know Kellen is growing in The Lord!
ReplyDelete