Monday, September 18, 2006

Hapes family update

Ok...I've been promising for a while to give a family update since I've been so bad at doing regular blogs...

Aside from the tumble down the stairs this morning on the way to school, and subsequent busted lip, bloody nose, and bumped noggin' on the concrete (final blow to the little guy), Kellen's doing great! I really feel like we're getting SO close to being fully potty trained (except for night time, when he still gets a pull-up). We're working on a reward system...and I really need to work up a sticker calendar or something so that he has a visual, but haven't taken the time to do that yet. So far, his rewards have been the rental of a movie after a week of no accidents. The first week this was implemented, we started on a Wednesday and he made it, but we haven't made any full weeks since then. I think we might need to rethink that particular reward system...doesn't seem to be working out well for him and if he has an accident at the beginning of the week, what's the incentive for the remainder of the week? Definitely needs some more thought...*grin* but we're getting there!

Matt has another two weeks (7 shifts, he reminded me as he went to work today) at the Med as a full-time employee. He's desperately missing being in the "field" and will be going back to EMT work. This change of schedule will actually help him finish up with his remaining paramedic rotations (OR and a few hours of ER, then he can begin his ambulance rotations), then on to the National Registry Exam. He's already signed up for it...and it's a November test date, so pray that all goes well as we are now really down to the last little bit of this. There are several companies hiring in the Houston area, so we're pretty optimistic about the prospects for a full time paramedic position.

Probably the biggest Hapes news, which some of you may already know, is that we're having another baby...with an expected arrival of March 19th. As of today (if we're calculating everything correctly), I'm 14 weeks along...so any day now I should be getting my energy boost...Right? So far so good in terms of how I'm feeling. Some mild morning sickness, but mostly nausea, which has been cured most days by a chocolate milkshake from Whataburger. Those are really easing my stomach...and have been a staple in my diet for the past 2-3 weeks. We haven't told Kellen that he's going to be a big brother, but I think that he knows...He's been turning lots of his stuffed animals, and even a football at school, into babies...wrapping them in blankets, holding them, putting them down for naps, you name it. Although it's obvious that I'm in the early stages of a pregnancy, we're thinking that we're going to try and hold off telling him for a little while still...Matt says we won't tell him until he asks why Mommy's belly is getting so big, but I'm not sure about waiting that long (well, it really might not actually be that long, I guess).

Hopefully I'll be getting some more energy soon, and will do my best to be more regular about blogging and updates on the fam...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this!! I've been feeling horribly guilty this morning for not calling you back. James is just such a handful nowadays. His first day of "preK" was today and I was really stressing out last night.

    I think I'm going to join a choir this evening so maybe we can talk later this week. I'm so glad to hear you are doing okay (as far as the pregnancy goes.) I love you and miss you terribly!

    *hugs*

    Jen

    ReplyDelete