Thursday, September 21, 2006

Tug at the heartstrings

Uhh....Kellen was so disobedient after I picked him up from school yesterday...For every 5 things I asked him to do/not do, he disobeyed 3-4...Before DH went to work, he went into his room and told me, "Go away please, Mommy" I was suspicious, since he's wanted to be around me all afternoon, so I asked him if he needed to go potty or poo poo. "No" was the reply (and I asked in a variety of ways). Ok, no big deal, so I left the room AFTER telling him that IF he needed to go poo poo or potty, remember to tell Mommy so we could go on the potty and not go poo poo in our pants. And I left it at that. (I'm trying really hard not to push this aspect too much, or to get upset/frustrated when accidents happen - SO difficult!!)

About 5 or 10 minutes later, while Matt was getting ready for work, I hear him say, "Well, you need to go tell your Mommy." So I go to find out what I'm now supposed to know...I asked him if he had poo poo'ed in his pants. "No." I asked him if he was lying to me (and in case you're wondering - he knows what lying is and that is isn't allowed or tolerated). "No." Well, I told him that I was going to check and we walked into the bathroom and, sure enough, Kellen had poo poo'ed in his underwear. After getting him on the potty and cleaning him up, I looked at him and told him that I was sad that he had lied to me and that he was not allowed to lie to Mommy or Daddy. (I'm ignoring the fact that we had JUST had a discussion about the potty, because I'm trying a new tactic of not focusing on accidents that occur). However, the lying is a no-no.

So, as a result, he went to bed early last night (~ 7 P.M. instead of his normal 8 P.M. bedtime). As I tucked him in, I put some of the smaller toys that I don't like him sleeping with on his bookshelf to "watch him sleep" - he likes for his toys to watch him sleep...just a thing that he does. Anyway, I told him that if I came into his room and any of those toys were in bed with him, that I was going to take them away from him and out of his room. "Ok, Mommy," was the reply. A little time passed and I hear a knock on the door and a voice calling out to me. I go into his room and he doesn't want the music on. Ok, no big deal - turn it off. A few minutes later, knock on the door and, "Mommy, I need to go potty." Ok, open the door and make a trip to the potty - take him and tuck him back into bed and loe and behold, there are two of the small toys that he's trying desperately to cover up. Uhhh...So I ask him what he has and he tells me. I thank him for telling me the truth and remind him what the consequence of bringing them to bed was...and proceed to walk out of the room with them. A few minutes later, "Mommy, I need a hug." I walk into his room and he's still in bed, with his bottom lip pushed out far enough for a plane to land on it...I go and sit on the side of his bed and give him a hug and a kiss and tell him how much I love him. "I love you too, Mommy." Then I tell him that I'm sad that he lied to me and that he has to go to bed early, but that I still love him. His response, "I am sad too...I'm sad that I disobeyed you and got Timone and Pumba off of the shelf."

Oh my gosh! That just made my heart melt! I sometimes get so frustrated with things, but this was (hopefully) verfication that he IS putting together action and consequence...What we're doing IS soaking in...He understands, but still makes poor choices, but then again, don't we all sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment