Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Swimming scare...MawMaw to the rescue

What is it with us and scares lately?

We were out of town this weekend (Matt was at work on Sat) and went swimming at a pool of one of Matt's relatives...Maw Maw was watching Kellen and I had Tatum in the pool...Kellen was in the hot tub portion of the pool, which had a circle seating area around it and Tatum and I were on the other side of the pool in the shallower portion playing...Well, he was walking around the hot tub playing (like any kid would be in the pool, right?) and walked right off of the edge, into the actual tub part, which was unfortunately right about the height of the top of his head.

Maw Maw grabbed for him (she wasn't in the pool, but was on the edge close to him) but missed, and saw him trying to get back up to the surface - unsuccessfully, I might add - and at the time that I screamed "HELP HIM!" - she jumped in fully clothed to grab him. There were 3 other kids in the pool with him playing (all older and VERY good swimmers), but they were behind him and didn't realize that he was having trouble and couldn't get back up...

*sigh*

Luckily, he had done the things he had learned in swim lessons and didn't come back up with lungs full of water...grabbed onto Maw Maw, and then was ok...Not too scared or anything. (And we're talking he was only under for seconds really...it just felt so much longer to me!). I had Maw Maw take Tatum and then he and I played so that his lasting memory wouldn't be a scary one...by the end of the day he was begging not to leave the pool, so I don't think this experience has left any permanent "scars" on him...But boy it sure did scare me!

That's what I get for bringing the swim clothes and forgetting ALL of the floaties...I would be ok with no more scares for a little while over here...

But, Maw Maw to the rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment