Monday, August 27, 2007

Squash and Size 9's

My kiddos are growing. They're growing up. Right before my very eyes. And there's nothing I can do about it.

Through a series of wierd circumstances, we found ourselves this morning without shoes for Kellen. His crocs (or alternative crocs, if you will), had been broken on the playground and were without straps; his tennis shoes had been inadvertently left at Uncle Eddie and Aunt Glenda's last weekend when I was too sick to pack things up and Grandma and Grandpa got the kids, me, and all of the stuff packed up and back to College Station - minus Kellen's tennis shoes, 1 pacifier, and a burp rag; and when Daddy had, again inadvertently, left the bag with the boots which Kellen had been wearing for the last week because of the lack of tennis shoes and broken crocs at Maw Maw and Paw Paw's yesterday when we left there. So anyway, we're trying to walk out of the door this morning and realized that we had to revert to the broken crocs.

We had to go shoe shopping today. Today- of all days. The first day of school.

So after work, I pick up the kids and it's off to Target we go to get Kellen some new shoes, because wearing broken crocs for two days in a row at school just won't work. They fall off of his feet when he's walking - I can't imagine what it was like for him to try and play on the playground in those today! We try tennis shoes on his feet. His previous tennis shoes were size 8 1/2 - but these....these are a size 9. And he says that they're comfortable. And his toes are in the correct spot.

Size 9. Yup. Size 9.

While at Target, I decide to put my ambitious goal for making homemade baby food on the shelf, at least for the time being, and buy baby food for my poor starving child who doesn't look like she's had a meal in ages.

****Ok, I'm picking myself back up off of the floor and I'll stop laughing now. ****

She's done very well on the sweet potatoes (both her and Kellen's first "real" food), so I get some squash, green beans, carrots, applesauce, and a butternut squash and corn mixture. Then she decides that she's had enough of this relatively short shopping trip. Seriously enough. And she's letting EVERYONE in screaming range know about it. And there's nothing Mommy can do.

Why did I decide to go shopping again on the first day of school when everyone was out? Oh yeah...Kellen didn't have any shoes to wear to school.

I digress.

We check out and walk outside, and to prove that she was telling me she was done with the shopping trip, she immediately stops screaming when we get outside. Yes, dear. I get your point.

Back home and time for dinner...and she loves the squash - at least until her teeth - or the places that there should be teeth on the bottom of her gums - start bothering her. Then she just wants me. But she ate almost the entire jar of squash and really did like it. When are these teeth going to come through so that they can stop hurting her?

And there is a note on her chart from school letting me know just how close she is to crawling. Yes, thank you. My not even 6 month old child is 2 seconds away from crawling. Somebody get me a baby yard. And quickly.

I'm in trouble over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment