On myself for just a minute?
Academic Advising Award Winners Announced
The recipients of the President’s Award for Academic Advising for 2008 have been selected and the awards will be presented at the University Advisors and Counselors Spring Awards Breakfast on Wednesday (April 30). The recipients are Brady Dennis, senior academic advisor I, biomedical sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Science; Sonia J. Garcia, assistant director of the Undergraduate Program Office, Mays Business School; Heather L. Haliburton, senior academic advisor I, Department of Ecosystem Science and Management, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; Rebecca Hapes, senior academic advisor I, Department of Entomology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; and Kristi Rebecca Mora, senior academic advisor II, Department of Management, Mays Business School. The awards are presented each year in recognition of the role good academic advising has on student success.
The breakfast of which they speak where the awards are to be presented falls under my pervue as President-Elect of UAC (the advising group at TAMU), so I've been busy organizing, delegating, prepping and finalizing details for that, but wow...what an honor! It was "officially" announced on Friday, and the awards breakfast is tomorrow.
Luckily, Matt's not working and he can actually attend! My folks can't make it (Dad's working and Mom's an administration of the TAKS test - too tough for her to get off and if she could it would be tough for her to make the drive by herself). Maw Maw and Paw Paw will be able to come and will round out my "personal" cheering section, and then there's the gang from work...a rather large, boisterous gang that upon notification of receipt of my award decided that they had to tell me RIGHT THEN.
Nevermind that I was in the middle of a pre-registration advising appointment. Yes, I'm serious.
And then, after they told me, they broke into song. And it isn't as bad as it sounds considering that one of the gang actually sings for a barber shop quartet.
Luckily, the student was understanding.
Man I love the people I get to work with on a daily basis! It makes the craziness of the actual job so worth it! (And, for the most part, I love the craziness of the actual job, too...just in case you were wondering or had any doubts).
No comments:
Post a Comment