Thursday, August 26, 2010

Delusions....

Well, my full-time maternity leave is rapidly coming toward an end...with a day and a half left to go.  Apparently I'm fairly delusional about things....I envisioned my maternity leave to include such things as:

  • daily walks with Jacey
  • small moments (maybe 15 minutes??) of laying out in the sun (yes, I am aware it's horrible for you, but it's SUCH a stress relief for me!)
  • finishing all of the kids baby books
  • scrapbooking and/or other crafts
  • cleaning house
  • reading for FUN
  • blogging on a regular basis

Yeah right.

My maternity leave has actually consisted of:

  • a couple of walks with Jacey until I admitted that it was too stinkin' HOT for her to be outside...at ANY time of the day
  • 1 lone jog, sans any and all kids
  • cleaning house (to only have it look like I did NOTHING the next day, or later on that night)
  • laundry, laundry and more laundry
  • changing diapers, diapers and more diapers (and we aren't even on cloth diapers yet, so this one and the last aren't related!)
  • baby books gathering dust, with me desperately trying to remember when the first time it was that Jacey boggled my mind when I caught her on her back AFTER she had been put down for tummy-time (funny - those milestones were a little easier to record with #1 and #2)
  • starting a book for fun, not finishing said book (speaking of...I'm not even sure where that stinkin' book is!)
  • do I even need to mention my lack of updating this blog?
  • nursing (Repeat, repeat, repeat - hmmm...an average of 8 times a day for 5 1/2 weeks now - yowzers!)
  • burping Jacey, then cleaning up Jacey's spit-up (Repeat, repeat, repeat)
  • snuggling with and kissing on my sweet Jacey princess (can't even begin to count the number of hours spent snuggling or how many times I've kissed that sweet face!)

Now, I have been brave some and have done some day trips with the kids to infuse some fun into this time.  We took a day trip to the Mayborn Children's Museum on the Baylor campus in Waco (the older two had a blast, and Jacey just slept and ate).  Last week we did a slew of activities with Maw Maw and Paw Paw, which the kids enjoyed immensely.  Monday we watched Despicable Me in 3D, then went to Incredible Pizza and watched 101 Dalmations.  Tuesday we ate a late breakfast at IHop then went to The Woodlands Children's Museum, then had frozen yogurt at TCBY's, then headed back to Maw Maw and Paw Paw's for an in-house showing of The Aristocats.  Wednesday we went to the Johnson Space Center in Houston and closed the place down, and stopped at Chili's on the way back home for dinner.  That particular excursion was fun, but I think we might wait a few years before doing that one again.  There was stuff for Kellen to do, but not as many interactive things as either Matt or I thought there would be.  Poor Tatum, she was pretty much told all day long that she was just "too little" to do virtually any of the activities.  Thursday was a more laid-back day, with backyard pool fun on the deck, and then we headed back to College Station.  On Friday, I took Tatum to school and Kellen, Jacey and I hung out, getting things ready for back-to-school.  We ventured out to Wal-Mart for a tax-free shopping outing so get a few t-shirts for Kellen and lots of diapers for Jacey (I haven't gotten any cloth diapers for her just yet and am thinking about waiting until she can fit into the ones we already had for Tatum).

So as you can see, I wasn't a complete home body.  My mom thinks I'm crazy for all of the outings we have done.  I can't say I disagree with her totally.  There's a fine line between brave and stupid, and I might have crossed over that line a little with all of the outings, but I wanted the kids to have fun as their summer was winding to a close.

Perhaps my Supermom complex is starting to show through...you know, the one where you think you can do so much more than you actually can - at least more than you can do and maintain some semblance of sanity.  'Cause I apparently suffer from that syndrome every now and again....

No comments:

Post a Comment