Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Time Warp

So I have entered into a time warp...one where over 3 weeks have gone by since Jacey graced us with her presence, one where Tatum has moved into the 'big girl' classroom this week, and one where Kellen will start the 2nd grade in less than 2 weeks.

I feel like singing the Time Warp song from the Rocky Horror Picture Show...'Let's do the time warp again...'

I'm going to turn around and the girls will be teenagers. Oh my.

So...let's get everyone (or the five people who read this blog) updated on the variety of things that have taken place since I updated the blog last....

Jacey's arrival
I was slated to arrive at the hospital at 10 PM, and Matt and I went to the hospital, got settled in, and when I was checked, I was 30% effaced and about 1 cm dilated.  And apparently I had/have a posterior cervix, which was making it difficult to check me. (Fun for me!)

Here's the delivery time line...

  • 11:40 PM, Cytotel medicine (to get my body ready for labor. Once administered, they ordered me to stay in bed for 2 hours - no problem!  I actually got to sleep a little!)
  • 2:15 - 3:30 AM, Up and walking the halls (I was a sweet laboring woman and let Matt sleep for the first 45 minutes of my walking, then decided that I wanted someone to enjoy my misery with me share the experience with me)
  • 3:40 AM (Saturday), 1 cm dilated (Way to go, body) and 50% effaced (Woo hoo)
  • 3:45 - 5:40 AM, Napped!!
  • 5:40 AM, Another dose of cytotel (The meds could only be given 6 hours apart, so this was the earliest they could give me the 2nd dose.  We had HOPED that my body would have progressed a little and that they would be able to start the pitocin at this point.  Unfortunately, I guess my body and Jacey had other ideas! I was still at 1 cm)
  • 7:10 AM, Dose of staydol (Apparently, the cytotel was getting things going, and the nurses continued to ask if I wanted any meds.  I was determined to make it through this birth WITHOUT an epidural, and decided to get some staydol just to take the 'edge' off of the contractions)
  • 8:45 AM, 1-2 cm, Doctor broke my water and indicated he needed about 15 minutes lead time to get back up to the hospital for the delivery.
  • 9:45 AM, 3 cm, Pitocin started, another dose of staydol
  • 10:42 AM, 4 cm
  • 10:50 AM, Another dose of staydol
  • 11:25ish AM, Dr arrived, 9 cm, and another contraction later I was begging to push.  Once everyone had taken their places, I pushed for about 5 minutes and......
  • 11:34 AM, Jacey born!


The grandparents and the kids came in to see me at about 10:30 AM or so...the kids wanted to see us and present Jacey with her gifts, so they came in to check on me and then everyone went and waited for Jacey. As you can see from the picture below, Tatum was a little bit concerned, and I'm not sure that seeing me made much of a difference.


Apparently I am a power pusher.  With every birth I've gone through, I've busted the blood vessels in my eyes and on my face.  This one was no different....blood vessels busted in my eyes, all over my face and neck, and I even made my own nose bleed during the pushing as well.  I guess that's why Matt said she shot out like a rocket?

And, like her brother, she had the cord wrapped around her neck. Twice. But I apparently also had excess cord, so it wasn't wrapped tightly, which was probably why we didn't see it on the ultrasound.  Either that or she managed to wrap it during delivery.

7 lb, 2 oz
19 1/2 inches long
11:34 AM
July 17
Jacey Victoria Hapes

Our bookend baby!



The kids came in shortly later to meet their sister.  They loved her immediately, of course!


And here is one of the first pictures of newly expanded family!


I stayed in the hospital through Monday, and left shortly after lunch on Monday.  Kellen's birthday was on Tuesday, and his birthday party was the following weekend.

Kellen's birthday
We decided to have the birthday party at GattiTown, and as we have learned, not many of Kellen's school friends could make it (darn summer birthdays!).  However, he had some church and family friends in attendance, and he had a GREAT time!


He is obviously in to super heroes....Spiderman cake (thank you, Heather!) and plenty of Spiderman, Iron Man, and other comic heroes for gifts.

Jacey's first bath
Jacey is speedier than the other two, and her cord fell off at the 10 day mark.  Lucky for me, grandma was still here and was able to keep her bath-streak going.  She's given each of my kiddos their first FULL bath after the cords have fallen off.  She happens to LOVE giving babies baths and I do not.  Really.  I know that seems to be something lots of parents look forward to, but I don't like it.  The babies are too little, squirmy, and slick.  I feel like they're going to pop right out of my hands and arms when I'm giving them baths when they're teeny tiny.  I know, I know...I'm a wierdo!

Anyway, once we got the water temperature correct, Jacey LOVED her bath!  In her pink tub, nonetheless...


Although her face may not show it, she really DID like her bath!  According to her Paw Paw, she's a serious girl.  In actuality, she doesn't like bright lights and I miss her happy faces because of my flash!  She ADORES getting her head played with...hair washed, head rubbed and/or stroked (which both of the kids do quite often), and hair brushed.  Loves it!

Tatum's crazy hair/hat day
Tatum's school has been trying to have a 'fun' event at least once a week during the summer.  Last week it was crazy hair or hat day.  In Tatum's case, she picked out a hat (which had a matching purse to go along with it) and I did her hair in low pig-tails.  I figured when she finally got tired of the hat and pulled it off we would accomplish the crazy hair bit as well.

Kinda' like a two for one deal!


Isn't she just stinkin' adorable???


Kellen's Music Camp Performance
Last week Kellen was at music camp, marking the second year in a row that he's participated in this camp in Conroe.  He did a wonderful job during the performance, singing and doing the movements, etc.  He's such a ham!

It was themed - GPS (God's Plan for Salvation)...such a great show!!


And of course, one of his biggest fans was his sister Tatum!


Jacey behaved quite well, despite my concern...I was convinced I wasn't going to get a chance to watch anything, and she pretty much slept her way through the performance.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment