Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Croup, cont.

I took Jacey in to our pediatrition for her follow-up to the ER visit this morning.  Just for the record, she weighed in at 12 pounds and 4 ounces (um, gained 5 ounces in a day and a half?). 

After the doctor's examination, he proclaimed that he was still hearing the stridor (noise when breathing in).  Once he made that statement, I realized what sound he was hearing. Yup, she's been doing that for a little while, I just didn't know what it was (ignorance was probably truly bliss on that one).  He and I discussed the ER visit, and he was disappointed that they hadn't prescribed a steroid for her, so he did - once a day for four days.

Unfortunately, she didn't have quite as good of a day today as she did yesterday. Perhaps she was just really tired yesterday after the stress of the ER visit, but yesterday she slept and ate and that was about it.

No such luck today.

She was quick to get upset and took a long time to calm down. Not a good combination, considering. And the world's best pacifier didn't even calm her down, it just caused her to spit up and burp more.

There's a limit to the amount of time one can hear their child cry inconsolably before the Mommy heart just breaks.  It was a stressful day for this Mommy. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, hugs Rebecca. I'm so sorry. I'm just around the corner if you need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry. Oral steroids always agitated our kids, so that may be part of her issue.

    ReplyDelete