Sunday, September 11, 2005

10 Years...Has it been THAT long?

My 10 year high school reunion was this weekend...football game Friday night and then the family picnic on Saturday afternoon at the Perry's Pecan Patch on FM 908. We didn't make the football game because Matt was on a 24 hr shift...but the picnic was a must - after all, I did get roped into helping out with the planning by the good 'ole class Prez...Frei-daddy himself. I had never been to this place, although there were apparently a lot of gatherings there while we were in high school, so I'm not quite sure what to expect from the facilities...

Saturday morning was rough...neither Matt nor I were feeling well - he was coming down with something and I think what has seemed like countless weeks of meds and sleepless/restless sleep nights finally kicked me in the tail. It took me a while longer than I would have liked to to actually get moving...Lots to do...we were all supposed to bring 1) beverages for our families...easy for us...water and apple juice; 2) desserts to share (I had planned to make these on Friday night but kinda' pooped out on this game plan while talking to Jen on the phone...I enjoyed chatting with her MUCH more than I would have enjoyed baking, so no worries there, although I guess I could have been good and done both at the same time - oh well!), so I baked a bundt cake, cupcakes for the kiddos, which I was sure there would be plenty of, and then a batch of no-bake chocolate cookies. I was geared up to make two batches of those, but was just short of 2 cups of sugar, so the second batch got shelved. Waited for the bundt cake to cool and then cut it up...cupcakes to cool and then frosted them - that baking pretty much took a while; 3) folding/lawn chairs; 4) kiddo entertainment...pull together what I think are some appropriate "outside" toys...Kellen's weed eater, leaf blower, and his new sandbox toys...for some reason I remember something about their being a sandbox available at this place - better to be prepared, right?

Prepared...HAH!...in my preparation I take the umbrella OUT of one of our bags...not thinking about the possibility of it raining on us during the reunion...so much for prepared...it ended up sprinking on us for about an hour and a half...and it ended up being so muggy that no one was really in the mood to eat anything...so all of those lovely desserts that I spent the morning making ended up coming right back home with us...virtually untouched. Oh well! Matt took the cupcakes and cake with him on shift (36-hr shift...I'm sure they'll be eating some of that) and I'll keep the no-bake cookies around...Lord knows I'll eat those!!

All-in-all it was a great turn-out and good time. I was the official photographer, which should have meant that my digital camera's memory card was full, but I slacked off on my job (sorry Chris)...with the weather and trying to catch up with people that I had literally not seen in over 10 years...it just kinda' slipped past me. I did take some good shots, and will work up an email to the class asking for everyone to send their pics to me, load them all up on shutterfly and share them with the group...so I think that was the biggest thing that Chris wanted anyway. At least if that part gets accomplished, everyone will have access to the full slew of pics from the weekend. Maybe I should change my title from photographer to historian...that way I won't feel bad about not taking so many pics and will work harder at the compilation and subsequent sharing of said pics...Yeah, I like that idea better anyway...historian it is.

Let me just say again for the record, "I have a wonderful husband!" He let me just catch up with people and checked in with me periodically, but he basically just chased after Kellen and played with him during the entire picnic. And Kellen was a handful. He discovered the San Gabriel river...discovered...literally...I'm really glad that we brought several changes of clothing for him...He played in the sandbox, with the rocks, sticks, ran around, climbed the slimy rocks covered in muck-mud...did I mention that it was sprinkling?...again, so glad we brought several changes of clothing with us!

So we got home and during the drive Matt was actually COLD. I put this word in bold for those of you who don't know Matt well - for the rest of you, you understand how crazy that is and how badly he must have been feeling...(And to chase Kellen around all afternoon with zero complaints...I love you sweetie!). We got home, I put Kellen to bed and Matt went straight to the recliner, covered up with blankets and just shivered...Bless his heart! I was really worried about him going on a 36-hr shift...took his temperature and he was actually running a fever, which he almost NEVER does...I unloaded the majority of the things from the truck that just had to be brought in...He woke up this morning and his fever had broken last night, thank God...He said that he's feeling better, so that's a plus...his immune system just amazes me! What hit him and put him through that would have probably knocked me out for at least 3-4 days...so off to work he goes this morning.

As for today, Kellen and I just had a lazy day. Since we (Kellen) only watch TV/DVD's on the weekend at our house, we watched whatever DVD Kellen decided he wanted to watch at the time, some twice, played with toys, danced around, put some puzzles together, snacked, pretty much did whatever he wanted to do that didn't require me to exert that much energy. I'm still feeling like I've been hit by a truck...I guess weeks of running close to the exhaustion line will do that to you, so I'm trying to take it easy today. I've done some laundry, but haven't been really diligent about keeping it going...Just when I get around to it. I had the idea that I could work on the spare bathroom project, which still isn't finished...possibly as a surprise for Matt...but quickly canned that idea when I realized how much energy it took for me to stumble to the DVD player to switch out shows for Kellen. Spare bathroom? Nah...I'll get to it later. I enjoyed the day much more just hanging out with Kellen and spending time with him. And he was in a snuggly mood today...I really like those days! I got a lot of random "I lub jou Mommy" today...translation, if you can't tell "I love you" - such a sweet little boy!!

Matt called this morning at about 20 minutes to 11...taking someone to the Med Center, so we got ready to go see "Daddy work" and Kellen really enjoyed watching his Daddy drive up in the "big truck" and then spend some time with him. To give you an idea of how much he wanted to see Daddy...he was in the middle of watching Hermie...one of his favorites...when I asked if he wanted to go and see Daddy. His reply?

"Stop Hermie. See Daddy. Hermie all through. Go see Daddy now. Stop Hermie."

It was just so sweet! He was ready to go and see his Daddy that very second! "Where Daddy at?" was also one of the first things out of his mouth this morning after I got him out of his bed. He seems to understand the concept of work...if nothing more than that it means that person has to be somewhere other than at home when they're at work, because that answer pacified him.

We called almost all of the Grandparents today...(sorry MeeMaw, we just didn't get a chance to give you a call today) and chatted with them. Kellen really enjoyed doing that. He's transitioned from me trying to talk him into saying "Hi" on the phone to my almost having to pry it out of his hands after the conversation is over (or while he's giving his Gramma Gerren a play-by-play of Toy Story). He really likes talking on it now. But woe is the person who is trying to compete with one of his shows, which is unfortunately what happened today with some of the grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment