So Matt is at a FEMA meeting tonight because of the mandatory Galveston county evacuation that begins tomorrow...he is bound and determined that Kellen and I will NOT be in this house when this hurricane hits TX land on Friday night - we'll either be in Conroe or Mexia, depending on where they're estimating the path of this thing, seeing as how our house has the word "mobile" in it, we're not actually going to take any chances. We had planned to build the deck this week, had Adam all lined up to help on Thursday and really thought that they could get the entire thing done in one day, as long as Matt had the materials here and some prep work done before Adam got here Thursday morning...so much for that plan. Nature has a way of usurping things sometimes.
I know that this will come out sounding really selfish, but I want this to be all over so that Matt can finish up with his paramedic tests and get going on his rotations. Yikes! We're a year behind on our schedule with this paramedic plan here...fast-track my behind - HAH!...so another natural disaster will not help this situation, since all of the people that he needs to connect with to get fnished up are intertwined with the rescue and relief efforts around here...grumble, grumble, gripe, gripe - and that did come out really selfishly.
Kellen had an all-around bad day today. Just woke up on the wrong side of the bed...I guess everyone can have one of those days, even a two year old...His teacher said that he had a good day...guess he used up his good behavior on her. Well, that's not entirely true...we did have some fun and good times playing horsie, airplane and coloring between some of the meltdowns this evening. I think he might be coming down with something and/or didn't get a good night sleep last night, so I made sure to start the bedtime routine on time and he was at least in his bed at 7:10...I have the sniffles today, so I hope that he's not coming down with something and that I'm not either.
Here's my bright story for the day...I had an appointment this morning off campus, got into my office at about 10:00 AM and was welcomed by a beautiful spread of lily flowers. The student worker told me they were for me and that I'd just missed the delivery guy. One of the recent August master student graduates, who now resides with his military wife in Europe, had them sent to me to thank me for my hard work and effort in helping him to graduate (there had been some last-minute issues with some of his paperwork but I was able to get it cleared up with the appropriate office and get him cleared for graduation). He just wanted to thank me for the work that I did for the graduate students and to let me know that he, and he was sure the rest of the graduate students, really appreciated it. WOW! Talk about your warm fuzzy. I almost started crying as I read the card, and quite honestly, almost every time that I looked at the flowers today. It was so nice of him to take the time and effort to say, "Thanks" and he didn't need to at all - it really was all in a day's work.
How bad are they estimating Rita will hit College Station? College Station is about 150 miles inland, right?
ReplyDeleteYou know you and your fam are always welcome here in New York if you need a place to stay!! :)
Jen