Monday, August 25, 2008

First day of kindergarten

Yup...It's that time. Already. Is he really old enough for this? *Sigh* But one look at that precious face tells you that he is, he's ready - but I'm not. Guess I need to get there - and quickly.

As you can see, he finally did pick out a backpack and a lunchbox that were "must have's" for him...Batman and Spiderman. I'm impressed, actually, with his lunchbox. We somehow picked the very last metal Spiderman lunchbox Wal-Mart had. Wow! Even I think it's a pretty cool one!




And he did wonderfully today...he was so very nervous last night...I tried so hard to encourage him, to comfort him, assure him that he was going to make friends, that he was going to be fine today, all of those things that we know how to say. But although I knew he would be fine, could he see through me to my own worry for him, I wonder?

It's amazing, though...whenever we go somewhere, he's almost always on the forefront of the kids...spurring them to whatever activity there is at hand. He's almost never shy unless the activity involves new adults, so it was odd for me to hear him express his nervousness about making new friends, because in my mind, he makes them effortlessly. If only I could get him to believe that about himself, which is what I tried to do last night. Why doesn't he see that in himself?

What I have learned; however, is that he is NOT into girls. At all. He was sitting next to one today and DIDN'T LIKE IT. Girls in his family are ok, but this girl was not. She was apparently wearing her hair in pigtails, and he didn't want to sit next to a girl. He just wanted to sit next to boys.

I wonder when they pass the "cootie" stage?

1 comment:

  1. awww, you are such a great mom. I am sure he had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete