Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why is it...

...that chaos ensues in this house when Daddy is gone? Now this isn't necessarily to say that chaoes doesn't occur when he's here, 'cause, hey...it's Daddy we're talking about. The walking embodiement of Murphy's Law.

But really...

Last night:
How many times can a toilet explode in one night? And at the EXACT moment when I'm trying to put Tatum to bed? And try as I might, neither my Wonder Woman bracelets, nor my Super Woman cape saved me from the mess that my slow response time created. And let me remind some of you that I was a sprinter in high school (i.e., I don't have THAT slow of a response time). However, in the amount of time it takes for Kellen to yell for me, and the amount of time it takes for me to realize that he's screaming for me because the toilet is exploding, for me to run in there, get him out of the way (which wasn't too hard considering he was trying his darnest to get to the highest point possible so as not to get ANY liquid on him), and to reach around the aforementioned exploding toilet to turn the valve OFF, it had managed to overflow (it types out much longer than it actually was). And wow, it overflows quickly, just in case you were wondering.

But, last night was a cleaning night for me, and it simply added to my to-do list. And now the bathroom is REALLY clean...nice clean floors, clean baseboards, clean toilet, the works...'cause if I was cleaning up after that I might as well make it worth it, right?

And as if last night wasn't enough, here's tonight:
Kellen was cleaning his room, after Caleb and he had a wonderful time playing in there (it wasn't nice and orderly before they played, and was in dire need of a picking up and cleaning anyway). So I decided to have him clean up his room and treat him when he was through to a 'special' night...our code for movie night. A short while later he runs out crying, holding his hand to me, asking for a band-aid. He had apparently burned his hand on his lightbulb in his lamp on his nightstand...and he burned a little smaller than a dime size area on his thumb. And he was HURTING!

So I had him run to the bathroom and run cool water over it while I called Matt to see if we had any burn ointment in the house, which we didn't have. So I loaded both the kids up and off to Walgreens we went for burn ointment and 'cool' band-aids. (We ended up getting camo!) The line was long, and he was in so much pain that I put the medicine on him in line. Here's the even sadder part...he was worried about me getting in trouble because I opened up the medicine and band-aids before I paid for them to put them on him! Oh my goodness what a sweetie I have in that little boy!

And back to the house we went...for what I am determined to make into a relaxing night. He asked for cereal for dinner. I obliged. And he and Tatum are now watching Wall-E.

No comments:

Post a Comment