Monday, July 13, 2009

Productivity...a different perspective

Today was a different type of productive from what my "normal" work day is like. By 8:30 AM, I had consoled a sick little girl - once at 10:30 PM, and then again at 5 AM (which was fewer times than I actually expected), snuggled and gotten her back to sleep, rejoiced that she wanted water after a day of coaxing her to drink water or 'pink juice' with no luck, eagerly got her the requested water (twice, but just a little both times), only to go from happiness to utterly helpless when less than ten minutes later she was getting down off of the bed telling me, 'My tummy hurts, Mommy' and trying to make it to the toilet to throw up. She barely made it with my assistance.

I then cleaned up (bless her heart, she actually did a great job, so there wasn't much to clean up), and we snuggled some more, made some phone calls to Maw Maw and Daddy, then I tried to figure out WHAT I could give her to appease her....'cause she was STILL begging for water. There is a fine line you must walk between hydration and not giving a child something you know is going to come right back up. So we started watching Yo Gabba Gabba and I distracted her for a while with that, and after some time had passed, got her started on some ice chips and cheerios. By the third Yo Gabba Gabba (thank GOODNESS for DVR's), we were still keeping down ice chips and cheerios, and we had a moderately happy Tater-tot.

And it wasn't even 8 AM yet.

While she was watching one of her episodes, I asked permission (yes, you read that correctly...she's sick and I'm no dummy!) to go and take a shower. At a few minutes after 8, I asked if she wanted to go for a ride, and boy-oh-boy, she was ready! We went to McDonalds, and before you burn me at the stake, we simply paid the deposit for Kellen's birthday party and got me an vanilla iced coffee (oh-so delicious!!!). I then asked her if she wanted to be my helper and go with me to the store or go home - her choice. She wanted to go to the store.

So, we had a very quick trip to the grocery store...her vitamins and more Tylenol were high on the list since with one more dose of Tylenol, we would be out...Let me tell you what, this little girl is a charmer! She charmed the socks off of both the lady checking us out and the lady sacking our groceries. Since we had gotten her medicine and her vitamins, she wanted to hold them, and then she gave them to the lady at the checkout and asked for them back. Bless the lady's heart, she rang them up, sacked them, and immediately gave them back to Tatum to hold! Oh my, Tatum was in heaven! She was telling them ALL ABOUT her medicine and her vitamins and everything else that we had picked up....her crackers and her graham crackers and....well, you get the point.

We got back to the house close to 9 AM, and put in Cinderella to watch. Tatum decided that she wanted to call her Grandpa, so we made a phone call to talk to him. While they were on the phone, he prayed over her to feel better.

Fast forward to lunchtime, and it was obvious that Tatum was beginning to feel better. So I decided to get some video....She has been absolutely precious today.







After lunch and naps, we snuggled for a while. When we finally got up, we played and played...we played in her room and weeded out many of the 'baby' toys. They are now in a bin outside her doorway. She played dress-up, complete with headgear and every purse she owns. We read books. Lots of books. Over and over. We played with her dolls. I dressed her dolls. She undressed her dolls, then brought them to me to dress. Then she undressed them again. Repeat.

And throughout the day, I did manage to get a few loads of laundry done, with a wonderful assistant to 'help' me fold and put away what we had done. And the kitchen has some semblence of clean to it - at least the dishwasher is running and the counters are somewhat clean. But the most productive things I did today were WHATEVER TATUM NEEDED FROM ME, regardless of what that meant for the rest of the world.

And I still haven't figured out how many movies it takes to make my princess well...our total count is up to 7 viewings of 5 moviews (2 viewings each of Kung-Fu Panda and Cinderella; 1 viewing of Bolt, Pinnochio, and Finding Nemo). I'll let you know tomorrow if that's the number.

No comments:

Post a Comment