Saturday, July 09, 2011

Climbing

I found out on Wednesday that Jacey can climb.

We have what we deemed as a 'safe' spot in the living room for her to play.  We set up baby fences (a play yard, really) and sectioned off our living room from our dining room and blocked off the TV.

It is great.  It is wonderful.  I can leave my very mobile child in a room where she can play to her hearts content without my worrying too terribly much about her getting hurt.  The worst she seemed to do was pull a plastic kitchen over on top of herself.

I didn't have to worry about her playing.

Well, at least until Wednesday.

On Wednesday after work, she and Tatum were playing in the living room.  I was doing something...most likely getting dinner ready.  I walked through the living room and spied Jacey sprawled across the back of one of our chairs, trying to get something off of the desk.  She had succeeded in getting one of her brothers Cars toys.

I thought Tatum had 'helped' her climb and fussed at her a bit.  Tatum assured me that she didn't put Jacey on the chair.

I wasn't convinced.

A few minutes later I was piddling in the kitchen and heard a cry.  It was an 'I'm scared and just did something that may have actually hurt me' cry.  You know the one.

I don't like that cry.

I ran into the living room to see Jacey picking herself up from the floor adjacent to our couch, where she had apparently climbed on and flipped over it - no doubt reaching for something she wasn't supposed to have or simply trying to escape her 'play area.'

Neither of the other kids were really big climbers. Considering that Jacey is pushing all of my parenting limits, I'm not sure why am I at all surprised that Jacey seems to be prone to climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment