Thursday, July 28, 2011

Purse purging

In a post earlier this week I talked about my friend coming over to help me finalizing my closet purging.  What she also helped me do was go through my purses.

I love purses.

And shoes.

She had already helped me go through my shoes many months ago and I threw out quite a few pairs that haven't been replaced.  (As a side note, I now believe that my hubby has more shoes than me, and I think this is just hilarious.)

Have I mentioned how much I love friends like this?

Anyway, in our going through purses, she pulled out a few and stuck them to the side.  She put the ones I knew she would in the 'keep' pile, and some of the ones she put in the 'no' pile I felt a little twinge over.  She suggested I look through them and be sure they were cleaned out before I made a final decision.

As I was pulling things out of one of them, I came across a list of gifts from a baby shower that had been thrown for me.

It brought back such fond memories.  Sweet, right?  Especially considering that my sweet baby Jacey is now a year old.

Except that this gift list wasn't from a shower held for Jacey.

Oh no.

It was from a shower held for TATUM.

Yes, Tatum.

Over four years ago.

That clinched it.

Any doubt I had about whether or not to let go of that particular purse was gone, as it was crystal clear that it had not been used in over four years.

But it made me wonder....why did I feel that twinge when I initially thought about getting rid of that purse?  Why is it, for that matter, so hard to get rid of most anything, even things we don't use that much?  Or haven't used, in the case of this particular purse, in years?

These are the things that clutter our closets, fill our homes, cause us stress, require cleaning, yet we can't bear to part with them?  Why?

In the past few weeks as I've been getting rid of things it's been so nice to pass them on to other people who can use them.  It's hopefully blessed others and helped them, which causes me to feel like I'm doing good, it's made my house look better - cleaner and more open, it's made it easier to keep things clean around the house, and it's caused me to want to keep purging.  The more I get rid of the more it seems I want to get rid of...like a weird purging cycle.

So my question for the day...what are you holding on to that's weighing you down?  (And you can go as deep with that question as you would like).  What kind of baggage are you carrying? Purge it!  Get rid of that excess baggage now and for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment