So I picked Kellen up from day care yesterday and posted on his cubby was a message from his teacher asking me to help her out with the ripping/tearing of book issue. Apparently Kellen had ripped several books in class. Stinker - he hasn't been doing that at home lately. So I go to the next room where he is and his teacher asked me not to leave just yet. There was another parent in the room and I was wondering just what that meant...Then she asks me if Matt had been gone a lot...no...Kellen had actually spent all day on Saturday with his dad, I told her...Matt was on a 36 hr shift Sunday and Monday, but he had gotten to spend quite a bit of time with him over the weekend, even saw him on Sunday morning while Matt was at work when we visited him on the "big truck" that Daddy drives. Well, apparently my little Kellen-man had quite the bad day at school. Not only did he rip up some books, but he had kicked one of his friends while they were taking a nap...in the head...and not by accident, either. I was mortified! Then she proceeds to tell me that he's been pushing people all day long, too. Whoa buddy! What's going on here? I told her that he MUST have been having a bad day because he had been super sweet on Sunday...and he had!! What was the DEAL?
I guess we all have bad days...and that extends to 2 year olds, too.
So we went back to our discussions about books and how we were nice to our books and didn't hurt them...NOR did we kick and hurt our friends. I just don't understand that. He's so compassionate most of the time and hates to see people hurt and upset, why did he do something that he knows would hurt someone else?
Arg...
Picked him up from day care today and was told that he had a MUCH better day today. No incidents to report. THANK YOU GOD!
Although some people might disagree, I don't think they have it in them to be hateful at this age. I think they simply don't know what to do with frustrated impulses and sad feelings so they lash out. The thought, "Geez, I'm mad and I'm gonna kick that boy's head because I'm mad" doesn't happen. He's not a bad boy. It doesn't mean he's not compassionate. I just think its part of the road bumps to discovering our emotions and how to control them. Who knows what made him sad. It doesn't have to be angst about his Daddy time. It could be just an "off day" like we all have from time to time when our hormones are low and our chemistry is off balance.
ReplyDelete*hugs* Sorry if it sounds like a lecture. I'm not certified in anything. This is just what I think happens and I thought it might make you feel a little better!
I know it has to be an impulse control issue...just has to be. 'Cause he really is a sweetie and can't stand it when someone is hurt or crying or anything like that. It's just trying to get him to understand the cause and effect issue - when you kick someone it will hurt them - and then the consequences of that action - if you kick someone Mommy will sit you in time out and you'll get a pop...arg...we'll get there, eventually...but I think we'll be working on consequences of our actions for the next 20 years, right? *grin*
ReplyDelete