Sunday, December 23, 2007

Blur...

That's what life feels like right now!

Friday I had the day off, and Matt and I got some MAJOR errands run...then he took a short nap while I picked up the kids from school, and it was off to Houston by way of Conroe to drop the kids off with his folks for our date-night...The Nutcracker, performed by The Houston Ballet! Tickets to the show were my anniversary present, and WOW! Well, it's us...so is anyone surprised that we were running behind schedule? Quick dinner of Sonic on the way to Conroe, get them dropped off - when we realized there was a complete 24-hour miscommunication about which day the ballet was anyway...luckily MawMaw and PawPaw were actually at their house - WHEW! So they were all set to watch the kids, quick changes for Matt and I and we're off to Houston. In bound traffic was a little heavier than Matt had expected, so we knew that we were cutting it close on the start time...Get there, park, and walk (luckily, I DO know how to power and race walk) to the show, get inside, one guy tells us they're still seating people and the next lady...well, you can see where I'm going with this, right? The next lady stops us and tells us that they have stopped seating. According to my watch, it was 7:37, but we missed the door by less than 2 minutes...and were the first ones turned away...surprised? I didn't think so.

So we got to watch the first act on the monitor - a VERY nice TV hooked up to a not-so-nice feed. Ahh..There were others that joined us, and Matt and I saw a glimpse of our future in some of the families...adorably dressed little girls and oh-so-handsome little boys...doing combat rolls towards the glass and bear-crawling so as to not get in the way of people. It was hilarious!

After intermission, we found our seats and really enjoyed the show quite a bit. But what would a night out be without some drama, at least where we're concerned?

Saturday morning we get up and rush to get ready so that we can make it back to town in time for Kellen's Little Dragon class that starts at 10 AM. At about 5 minutes till we pull into the parking lot...the EMPTY parking lot. Apparently neither Matt nor I had realized that the holiday schedule began on Saturday, so we high-tailed it back to town for a non-existent lesson. Poor Kellen. He was so excited about going to his class, too. Anyway, we were able to get a lot more stuff done around the house on Saturday, and Matt really went through all of our Christmas decorations, finished decorating, and reorganized the decoration storage boxes. The house looks really nice!

We discussed yesterday that we still needed to get Santa pictures, so we looked on the mall website and saw that the mall was opening up at 7 AM today. So this morning, I got up, got ready, got the kids all decked out in their gear, and was determined to be one of the first in line for the Santa pictures. How true, how true. When we arrived at the mall and went to the castle, there was a sign on it indicating that on Sunday, the pictures were from 12 - 6 PM. And this was at 9:30 AM, mind you. So, I decided to try and finish some of the Christmas shopping that I needed to do at the mall, and just get that done before the pictures opened up...we shopped for a while - let me just interject here that Kellen inherits his non-love of shopping from me - he was not the happiest of campers at the mall - then at about 10:45, went to the food court and got an early lunch. I decided to let them eat, then go wait by the castle for Santa...smart plan, right?

We finish eating about ten minutes after 11, then walk over to the castle, only to see hustle and bustle there....Apparently, they started taking pictures at 11 AM today, not noon as the sign on their stand indicated. So instead of being EARLY, people are already there and getting their pictures made. Oh good gracious! However, the line wasn't bad, and I had been prepping Kellen quite a bit about showing Tatum that she didn't need to be scared of Santa, etc...He went first, and did just WONDERFULLY! He went right up to Santa and sat on his lap, talked to him, smiled great for his picture, everything! Then I put Tatum on Santa's other knee, and reminded Kellen to show Tatum not to be scared of Santa. I let them both sit there for just a few minutes, and Tatum was NOT happy about the big buy in the red suit. Kellen was GREAT, though! He was trying to make her laugh, and calming her down, then I got him off of Santa's lap and he and I tried to make her laugh and smile so that she could get a good picture with Santa. It turned out ok, but she isn't smiling and cheerful in the picture, which is her "normal" face and attitude. All-in-all, the pictures are ADORABLE.

Back to the house for naps, then after naps we hit Wal-Mart and then Kroger for the remainder of our items. Kellen helped me wrap a lot of gifts tonight, and he had so much fun being my helper! He was disappointed that we didn't get a chance to make any cookies or the cupcakes we had talked about, but we just ran out of time today! Maybe we'll get to that tomorrow...he's pretty insistent about making cookies for Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment