Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas talk

We've been watching all of the nightly Christmas specials...many of which I grew up on and am more than happy to share with (at least) Kellen right now.

Here are some tidbits of our conversations from tonight...

Watching Frosty the Snowman
(As the opening credits are rolling and it's in the very early stages)
Kellen: Where's the hat that makes the snowman talk?
Me: Sweetie, just watch the show, ok? (HOW DOES HE KNOW THIS? I DON'T REMEMBER EVER WATCHING THIS WITH HIM BEFORE!!)

Watching the "other" Frosty that came on afterwards (which I don't ever remember watching and is kind of freaky if you think about it from a kids point of view...the adults vaporing the snow and snowman...huh? what's THAT about?)
Kellen: MOMMY, FROSTY IS GOING TO GET DISAPPEARED! Is someone going to spray Frosty?!?
Me: I'm not sure, honey.

(later)
Kellen: MOMMY, FROSTY HAS A BIG HOLE IN HIS STOMACH AND HIS LEGS ARE WOBBLY AND HE'S GOING TO MELT INTO A BOWL!
Me: Really? (Thinking...why oh why did they make this into a KIDS show? He's going to have nightmares about snowmen with holes in their stomachs melting now!)

After both of the shows are over while he's stalling to finish getting ready for bed.
Kellen: Mommy, we don't have a chimney.
Me: You're right sweetie, we don't.
Kellen: Then how can Santa get into our house to bring us presents?
Me: Kellen, do you think Santa is real?
Kellen: Yes, he's on TV.
Me: (Arg, I wanted to go along with the Santa thing but didn't want to actually "train" either of the kids to actually buy into and believe in it). Well, we have that special Santa key that we hang on the door so only Santa can use it and get into the house. But why does Santa bring presents at Christmas, Kellen?
Kellen: Because some boys and girls don't have any toys.
Me: Ok, but why else do we give presents at Christmas? What happened a long time ago at Christmas?
Kellen: I don't know. I forgot.
Me: Because God gave Jesus to us as a gift so that we could be saved and live with God in Heaven and we remember that by giving presents to other people, right?
Kellen: Right.

While being tucked into bed:
Kellen: Is tomorrow stay at home day? (Say "stay at home" very quickly and it DOES actually sound like Saturday)
Me: Yes, it's Saturday.

(later)
Me: Kellen, how did you get to be such a good big brother?
Kellen: 'Cause that's how God made me.

No comments:

Post a Comment