I should have posted this days ago, but hey...if you're following my blog you're probably still wanting to know how Christmas and New Years went, right?
Newsflash: I'm still behind! LOL And I'm not feeling guilty about it! (Well, that's not entirely true...I'm desperately trying to not feel guilty about it...I'm working on accepting that I can only do so much, and that my ideal isn't always practical...I'm a work-in-progress on that one)
Anyway...I made the decision to paint my daughters toenails a few days ago.
Yup. My 22 month old daughter.
Considering that I attempted this after bath and shortly before her actual bedtime, it wasn't one of my more shining mom-moments, if you know what I mean. Add to that the fact that I was wearing BRAND new jeans, a BRAND new shirt, and that I hadn't put down a towel to protect the carpet and you HAVE to wonder what I was thinking.
Apparently I wasn't. I didn't think or plan ahead for this momentous occasion.
Did I mention that my little girl is lightning fast? And that she likes to grab at virtually all things pink, which is, of course, the color that I chose to paint her toenails because when given the choice, she'll choose pink or purple and pink generally looks better on toes, now doesn't it?
Luckily for me, when she grabbed the open jar of nail polish from my hands and knocked it onto the carpet, I was quick enough to grab it before any spilled onto the actual carpet. Or my jeans. Or my new shirt. Or any other fabric that shouldn't have come into contact with fingernail polish. The only casualty of the lightning quick 22 month old and the subsequent stray fingernail polish was my hands, and they came clean.
WHEW!
After quickly correcting my horrid errors, I made quick work of her tiny toes (and in case you're wondering, she didn't get a base or top coat, and only got one coat of color), then tried desperately to keep her still while they dried.
As a sidenote, I don't think I've EVER said, 'don't touch those!' in such quick succession before in my LIFE!
Luckily for us all, her cute little piggies dried quickly, and she made the rounds of the room, showing everyone here her freshly painted toes. "Pretty piggies" was the phrase of the night until our princess went to bed.
This got me to thinking. Tatum seems to be the daughter that my mom always wanted. Now that statement might sound weird, coming from my mom's daughter. But let me explain. My mom always wanted a 'girly' daughter...one that liked dolls, thought her Barbies - the ORIGINAL Barbies that she kept from when she was little - were cool, and that was, you know, a girly girl.
I was not that child.
I didn't like to play with dolls. I thought her Barbies were cool because I could pop their heads off - a fact which did NOT amuse my mom. I played with BB guns. I climbed trees to prove they were safe for my older brother. I rode go-carts in the pasture. My hair was cut short because I got upset if it was tangled (well, let's get real here...I threw fits when my mom tried to fix it when I was REALLY young - so she kept it short). Bottom line - I was not a girly girl.
But it appears my daughter is.
She remarked, "Pretty!" when her daddy hung up the pink fan in her room. She LOVES to play with her dolls, and constantly pushes them around the house in their stroller or shopping cart. She wraps them in blankets and puts them to bed in their cradle (incidentally, she's playing with the cradle that my great grandfather made for me when I was little...I love that it's actually getting some use in its intended way). She loves her pretty pink painted piggies. She grabbed my hand the other day just to look at my wedding ring. Yes, my wedding ring...remarking, 'pretty!' as she looked at it. Then told me that she wanted it on her. Uhhh...she's 22 months old and already wanting diamonds.
Folks...I'm in serious trouble here with this little girly girl! But I'll get the hang of it...I've already become familiar with Sam Moon and hey, they have these super deals on GREAT bows.....
No comments:
Post a Comment