Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sick kiddos...it stinks!

I guess that's the way it works with more than one kid. One gets sick, gets over it, then the other gets it or some version of illness number 1 and the cycle perpetuates itself.

Ug.

We're in the cycle, so to speak, right now. And I'm hoping that we can stop it at one cycle.

Tatum went in for a nasty, persistant cough, and pulling on her ears about two weeks ago. Sure enough, double ear infection. The cough was dismissed with the suggestion to give her mucinex. Since she isn't age-appropriate for that medicine, at least per the dosage chart on the actual medicine itself, I get it and her prescription with her appropriate, doctor prescribed dosage in hand.

Fast forward to Thursday morning and we hit stage two of this cycle. Tatum is through with all of her medicine, seems to be fine other than the fact that she REALLY LIKES her medicine and taking her medicine. Hmmm...And Kellen wakes up with a slew of problems...he's having trouble walking, his back hurts, his throat hurts, his stomach hurts (ya' think?? See previous posts for additional details on that one..) and his side hurts. I checked his leg and it was actually warm to the touch, so it was obviously apparent that he had done something to himself. Initially, I was concerned that he just didn't want to go back to school after the potty incident the day before, but that wasn't the case (or at least not all of the case). So I packed Tatum up, got her to daycare, and proceeded to try and clear my calendar at work - rescheduling where I could and getting people to fill in where I couldn't reschedule.

Have I mentioned that I had been out of the office the entire week already for some intensive training? Ouch. But everyone knows that my kiddos are my priority, so there ya' go...

Fast forward through the day and Kellen and I just hung out and rested. We watched movies, took a nap, colored, and just generally took it easy. His most persistant symptom continued to be his cough. He never did run a fever. And he refused to take any medicine...wouldn't gargle with salt water, wouldn't drink apple juice, wouldn't even take the mucinex for his cough.

The next morning (Friday) he seemed to be fine, so off to school he went. Well, in the midst of the craziness that was my attempt to catch up in the office, including non-stop student appointments and, my assistant walked into my office, interrupted me with a student to let me know that the school had just called, Kellen had a fever, and they needed someone to pick him up. Thankfully Matt was able to tag team on that one, pick him up and take care of him for the remainder of the day. Again, the primary complaint was the cough, but it was joined by Kellen saying he felt sore all over.

Uh oh.

So today, Kellen has run a fever pretty much all day long. He started with 100.4, spiked to 102, then went back down to 100.4. He's lounged in our bedroom watching movies and resting, as we've tried to keep him sequestered in an attempt to avoid any additional spreading of germs to Tatum, at the very least.

It's interesting how different the kids are in some respects as well. As I got the medicine out to give it to Kellen (mucinex), Tatum begs for it and Kellen covers his mouth. I can BARELY get Kellen to choke it down without throwing it back up and Tatum would drink the entire bottle if I let her or if she managed to get into the medicine cabinet. Same flavor. Same texture. Kids out of the same genetic pool. Just interesting.

Bless the kids hearts...Kellen's just wanting to be snuggly, Tatum doesn't understand why she can't play with her Kellen and is oh so concerned with him when he goes into a coughing fit. We've been trying our hardest to keep them apart but MAN, I can totally understand how this cycle can repeat itself continually in a multiple kid household! We weren't concerned with keeping Tatum away from Kellen while she was ill because he wouldn't have been able to catch her ear infection but now.....we just aren't sure what Kellen has!

Hopefully he'll get the rest he needs over the weekend to be ready to go on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment