Tuesday, June 08, 2010

When the thunder rolls.....

....and you're at the pool, it's not good.

Yesterday was supposed to be the beginning of Tatum's private swim lessons with one of the graduate students from my department.  She taught both of the kids two summers ago, and they did wonderfully with her!  And yes, in case you're wondering, we actually gave Tatum lessons with her when she was just over a year old...and she did great!

Back to the point.  Tatum and I arrive at the pool maybe ten minutes till 6, and we were supposed to meet Cymon at 6 for the lesson.  No biggie, we're early (for once as of late) and head on in to the pool to splash around.  At this point in time, the quicker I can get somewhere that makes me a little more buoyant, the better!

We play for a few minutes, then I hear it.  Thunder.  I wasn't the only one who heard it, because the lifeguards were conversing back and forth amongst themselves to be sure they heard it, too.  Yup.  Whistle blows and they clear the pool......just as Cymon was walking toward the entrance.  So we cancel the actual lesson and agree to meet again on Wednesday as originally scheduled. 

I then went to the lifeguard to ask about a rain check, only to be told that they aren't 'officially' shutting down the pool, they're just required to wait 20 minutes after the last thunder clap.

So we wait.  For 20 minutes, just like we were told.

After the all clear, I rinse Tatum off (because in the meantime, she went and played on the playground.  I didn't think they wanted her getting back into the pool with dirt and sand on her.  Just my guess.) and back into the pool we go.

For all of 45 seconds.

And the thunder rolled.  Yup.

Here's hoping that the forecast for Wednesday is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment