Monday, August 13, 2012

Why??

Or otherwise known as, NOT FAIR!!!

Today was supposed to be a joyous event...an intricate compilation of the completion of a myriad of things off of Tatum's about-to-start kinder 'bucket list'.  It was that, but it was also the scene of a horrific tragedy in the sleepy little town in which I live.

A wonderful man was killed today.  In fact, not one, but apparently two.  But I only know one of them personally.

And it has wrecked my world.

I have carried on today and tried to continue with Tatum's bucket-list schedule.  I told her that 'a very bad man hurt some people today', and initially, I wasn't sure how badly that was.

Now I know.  Two children will never play baseball with their Daddy again.  A Daddy will never walk his daughter down the aisle to give her away.  A wife will have to carry on without her earthly rock.

A host of kids will never be coached by a tremendous coach again.

Kellen was fortunate enough to have him as his very.first.t-ball.coach.


Brian Bachmann was a great coach to Kellen and the rest of that team.  He cared more about instilling a love of baseball and the basics than winning, and the kids had FUN during the season.  It was fun to be a parent on that team.

That is the aspect of Brian I knew best, but it certainly is only one aspect of a great man...a respected pillar of this community.

I am angry that he was killed.  I am even more angry that he was apparently killed while issuing an eviction notice.  Really?  That just screams of unfairness to me.  Being evicted was worth his life?  Really?? 

I decided to go to the prayer vigil tonight and as I told the girls where we were going, I explained to Tatum what had happened, in 5 year old-ese....'You know the bad man I told you about earlier that hurt some people?  Well, one of those people was hurt really badly and went to heaven.  You know what that means, right?'

'Yes, that means they died,' she answered.

'That's right,' I said, 'And we're going to go and pray for their family and friends because they're really sad.'

The conversation went on a little longer and her final remark was so simple, 'But he's in heaven, right? So why are they sad?'

And y'all, she's 5. Ok, almost 5 and a half.  She get's it.  Yes, we have to grieve. And I'm apparently working through the anger stage.  I wonder if this is what childlike faith looks like played out....'he's in heaven, why are we sad?'

"Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." Mark 10:15 - (The Message)

She's on the right track here, folks!  Just look at my sweet 5 year old putting the eternal perspective on a horrid, awful, hideous event.  I'll be honest though, I'm just not quite ready to be there with her yet.

Brian was a Christian and I can rejoice that he's home.

I was listening to a Building 429 song on the way to the prayer vigil...the lyrics, '...all I know is, I'm not home yet. This is not where I belong....'

This lyric is NO LONGER TRUE for Brian.  He's home now.

I can choose to rejoice in that.

Update:  Those interested in doing something tangible in the wake of this tragedy can purchase gift certificates to local restaurants who are matching, dollar for dollar, the amounts.  These gift certificates will be given to the Bachmann family so that meal times will hopefully be one less stressor for them over the next few weeks or possibly months.

No comments:

Post a Comment