For a two year old, Kellen is showing an amazing amount of compassion! My jaw has been really hurting the past couple of days, just aching terribly, actually. I finish up with the last steriod pill tomorrow and am seeing the doctor again early Friday afternoon, so we'll see what he has to say this week. Anyway, today after we got home I heated up this contraption (thank you, Judy, for letting me borrow this thing) that I'm using to put moist heat on my jaw and sat on the chair with it against my cheek. Kellen looked at me with a strange look on his face, like he wasn't quite sure what I was doing, which I'm sure he wasn't. He walks over to the chair where I'm sitting, then he proceeds to climb into the chair with me.
"Pillow?" he asked, pointing to the thing I'm holding against my face (I must check on the name of this gadget). A pillow he would understand, as he likes to sit in Mommy's big chair with his pillow.
"No sweetie." I tell him. "Mommy has an owie on her jaw and this makes it feel better."
His face registers some concern..."Kiss." I ask him if he wants to give Mommy a kiss. "Yes. Kellen kiss Mommy." he whispers. I've noticed that when he's sad he whispers. So I moved the heating pad/contraption away from my face and he leans in and kisses my cheek. I put the padding pack and he says, "No, more kiss." and proceeds to give me a half a dozen or so more kisses over the side of my face, trying to make me feel better. Then he just sits down in the chair next to me, which is fairly normal, leans his head against my chest and wraps his arms around me, which is NOT normal for him, at least not anymore. He understood that I hurt and was trying to make me feel better, and even as I'm typing this, my eyes are welling up just thinking about it again, because it was just so sweet and caring.
He didn't give me any problems, was extra snuggly tonight, and went down to bed like an angel. I wonder if he was trying to be good because I felt bad? Or maybe I'm just reading way too much into a two-year olds behavior...
No comments:
Post a Comment