Interesting note about a side effect of the prevention medicine for migraines that I've been taking since Monday night...as many of you know...I LOVE my Sonic vanilla Dr. Peppers...LOVE THEM, LOVE THEM, LOVE THEM...When the doctor was talking to me about potential side effects of the medicine on Monday, he mentioned things like:
- CO2 levels would be depleted from my body so my fingers, toes and lips would tingle, and if I liked beer (which I don't) or carbonated beverages, they might taste flat to me;
- The meds would change the ph levels of my urine (possibly TMI for some of you), so I would be at an increased risk of kidney stones;
- Weight loss (at least not weight gain)
So I didn't think much about the second part of the first item until today at lunch when I didn't have a chance to come home and eat lunch but rather stopped at Sonic for a quick grilled cheese (something I can actually chew) and my beloved vanilla Dr. Pepper (44 oz, I might add). As I took the first swig of what would have been my first carbonated beverage of the week, I stopped cold. It tasted SO ODD. I took yet another drink, thinking that Sonic had made some horrible mistake with my order and that this wasn't the drink I had ordered (which I guess I still can't really prove conclusively). Still such an odd taste. Then it hit me. I remembered what the doctor had mentioned when he discussed the medicine side effects....No wonder there is weight loss associated with this medicine! If carbonated beverages taste like this, then people aren't going to want to drink them, and there goes XXX calories/day! I worked on that drink ALL AFTERNOON long - I'm not kidding - a sip at a time was all that I could handle. Normally I can finish off a Route 44 in an hour or so (sometimes less) - which really shouldn't be a good thing, I know, but I actually threw out the vaste majority of that drink when I got home from work today. Crazy stuff...
Interestingly enough, my body is intensely craving water - lots of water - since being on this medicine. Perhaps yet another beneficial side effect.
No comments:
Post a Comment