One would think that taking a muscle relaxant at night and then an anti-inflammatory with pain meds twice a day, with both of the above meds having the side-effect potential to make one drowsy would allow the recipient of said medication to rest easily, at least at night, right? WRONG!! Why is my body hard-wired to almost always react in the opposite manner of the normal side effect of anything...EVER??? Arg... I was really worried about this particular combination of medicines impacting my ability to function in a normal capacity...but didn't expect my body to react in this manner...
Anyway...about an hour or so after I take the meds at night, I get oh-so drowsy and drift off to sleep...but woe is me if I wake up at some point in time throughout the night. There is this certain point of wakefulness that if I reach or go past...I'm a goner and up for good. Tuesday night I woke up at about 11:45...worked until about 3:30, I think (do students wonder why their advisor is emailing them in the middle of the night...does it even cross their minds??? One of my co-workers did - and he is none-too happy that I am having med trouble...he's concerned about these meds taking too much of a toll on me since I'm having such a difficult time sleeping). I was finally able to go back to sleep but was up pretty early on Wednesday morning, about 5:30 or so, even before the alarm ever went off.
Surprisingly enough despite my lack of sleep (and for those of you who know me well, you'll understand why this is such a surprise...Rebecca does not function on little sleep...just doesn't happen - must have at least 8 hours a night), Kellen and I had a great morning on Wednesday morning. We enjoyed a somewhat leisurely breakfast and morning (since I was up so early, I was completely ready to go before he was even awake at 6:15...), so we were just able to enjoy each other. How nice - and rare!! He decided during his breakfast that his two big bears wanted to eat, too, so he put them both at the table with us and fed them bites of his pancakes, making "yum, yum" sounds for them as he did. It was just adorable! He's got such a great imagination!
Wednesday was a full work-day for me...but everything went really well. Then Wednesday night happened, which I've already written about..for reference, check the "Monster-man" post. That night was a little more of the same, although I don't remember having a marathon work session.
I was up and moving pretty early on Thursday - Kellen to day care and me at work before 7:30. Whoa, Rebecca. Sometime during the day between Thursday and Friday I managed to lose my voice almost completely. I am flip-flopping between sounding like Minny Mouse and like I should be on the other end of a 900 number. I'm not quite sure why or how I've lost it...but my throat doesn't hurt at all. Odd...
Friday morning...no such luck...I'm up and working at about 4:00. Sending emails, etc...Soon after I get to work my boss pops his head in my office and makes a comment about me sending emails at 5:30 in the morning...I fill him in on the med situation and now I have a couple of folks looking for a non-alcoholic mixture to get me to sleep...*grin*
Friday night and all things go crazy...I fall asleep around between 9-10, and then something wakes me up around 1...really wakes me up. And I'm up for good. So I ended up working from 1 until about 6:30 Saturday morning on the computer. Thank goodness for proxy! This way I'm really able to get things done, since I can get to EVERYTHING on my work computer. Matt got up a couple of times throughout the night to check on me...I think it really worries him that I'm not sleeping because, of course, this just isn't like me. My body just isn't hard-wired to function like this and I'm really not sure how it's doing it. He comes into the computer room, "Honey, are you feeling OK? What's wrong?"
I try to make him understand that nothing is wrong...other than the fact that I can't sleep. My body is exhausted, but I just can't make it go back to sleep. Oh well! At least I'm getting things knocked off of my work to-do list, which is good.
At 6:30 my body finally shuts off...drowsiness kicks in...YEAH!!! I crawl into bed and sleep until 9. Man-o-man that was so nice! So was waking up to a clean kitchen and the smell of freshly cooked breakfast tacos. I have such a wonderful husband!
Big plans for Saturday...we went to the Aggies football practice, which they opened up for TAMU faculty and staff. Can't say much, but it was fun! Kellen enjoyed himself by running ALL over the stadium, which was fine...he really wasn't going to any damage and wasn't bothering anyone, so we just let him GO - we did, of course, keep an eye on him. When we arrived we ran into one of the new ENTO faculty and his twin boys (~15 months), so we sat together until they left. They're all still getting used to the Texas heat, so they weren't able to stay that long. The boys didn't even make a peep! They were complete angels the whole time. I think the only time I heard anything out of them was when they wanted more water from their sippy cups. It was amazing and I can't even imagine having two Kellen boys at the same time. WHOA-momma! Kellen managed to keep the folks above us entertained as he ran through the stands...as people would pass by us they would comment on how cute he was and how much energy he had...No kidding!! When we got home from practice we pretty much all crashed, well everyone except Mommy - I tried to take a nap to no avail. That's ok, I did rest, and the boys both got great naps.
Daddy decided to help Mommy out with Kellen's bath...since we're trying to finish up the spare bathroom and it's so dusty (no, we still aren't done with that project yet), Kellen isn't getting his baths quite as often as normal. And with him playing in some sort of sand at school yesterday - not sure about how that happened - and the sun event of the Aggie practice today - he's just GOT to get cleaned up). But Mommy's back has been kinda sore lately and it's harder on my back for me to give him a bath in the big bathtub in our bathroom, so Daddy and Kellen decided to get a shower. They were so funny! Daddy was humming and singing to Kellen and they were dancing around in the shower. I think at one point in time they were taking turning drinking the water, too. Not quite sure what that was about! Kellen sure does like to take showers with Daddy - it's one of their special times!As for today, Matt had a VERY productive day in the back room/office. He's been working off and on trying to get this room organized for a while. He'll get it to a certain point and then will stop, and things will back up again and it will almost be like he has to start over. It's been frustrating for him...but he got started today and really got on a roll. And you can really tell the difference! I won't say that it's done, but it's quite an improvement...it's getting there!
No comments:
Post a Comment