Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Forgot his kiss

So we're trying to get into a routine with the new job, so forgive my lack of posting...Tonight, however, I just couldn't miss this one. Daddy picked Kellen up at daycare and I finished up with my chiropractic appointment, ran to Walgreens for Kellen's contribution snack for the spring party at school tomorrow, beat them home and started a quick supper (I've determined that grilled cheese is a great quick dinner for a "fend for yourself" night, which is what tonight had been deemed). Kellen was just being too cute all night long...just little comments that solidified that he was/is growing up.

However, the clincher came at bedtime...literally 5 minutes ago. It was a tug at the heartstrings & growing up moment - all in one.

After Daddy left for work, Kellen came into the room I was in with some toys and sweetly asked, "Mommy, you want to play with me?"

Oh my goodness...how could a Mommy refuse that sweet and innocent request?

So of course, we went to his room and played blocks, got his special book out (his LeapFrog book that he had a tendency to be a little rough with, so it stays in the closet unless he's supervised with it), and just played, played, played. What a nice time! Such a change from the grump-a-munch of last night and this morning. Whew!

At about 7:30 or 7:35, we go into the bathroom for bath time...he does some business on the potty (still making progress - YEAH!!) and then takes a 10 minute or so bath. Since the bathroom is 95% completed - but at least functional, bathtime is SO MUCH MORE enjoyable now! At about 7:45, it's time to get out of the bath, but he doesn't really want to...he enjoys playing in the bath so much (at least tonight I didn't have to take him out twice to pee pee like last night...but hey, at least he told me that he had to go and pee peed in the potty, right?). I let him sit in the bathtub while the water is draining, and he's watching the water drain, looks at it and says, "The bathtub is really thirsty!"

Kids and their perception...it's just hilarious!

Potty again, then he wants me to hold him like a baby...it's the only time he wants me to do it and I'll still take advantage of it...fingernail grooming (how DO the fingernails & toenails of a child grow that quickly?), then it's on to PJ's, brush teeth, read a book, say blessings (translation: prayers), music on and night, night. As I walk out of the room, he tells me good night and that he loves me...it just makes my heart melt.

I make it down the hallway and then hear a small voice yelling, "Mommy!"

I walk back into his room. "Yes baby. What's wrong?"

"You forgot my kiss."

"Oh ok sweetie. I"m sorry." He's sitting up in his bed at this point in time, he hasn't gotten up, which he knows he is not supposed to do after he's been tucked in. I walk over and give him a kiss and tuck him back in. "Do you want another one?"

"No, that's enough."

See what I mean? Tug at the heartstrings...he didn't want to go to sleep without his kiss from his Mommy...but growing up...he only wanted the one.

"Well," I replied, "I'm going to give you another one anyway." And I leaned over and kissed him on the forehead. Another exchange of 'I love you's' and he was officially down for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment