Friday, October 05, 2007

She's not supposed to be doing that...

"Mom, Tatum's got __________!" is a common phrase spoken by Kellen nowadays.

Tatum is mobile. Very mobile. And she's getting into everything it seems.

Kellen is so sweet...and tries so hard to make sure that she doesn't have anything that might hurt her. He watches to make sure that she doesn't grab "his" toys (because they have small parts and could choke her when she puts them in her mouth - we've discussed this), shoes (because my daughter is a shoe fiend), plastic pieces, and random other items that Kellen feels are inappropriate for his darling sister to play with. If she wanders (excuse me...race crawls) to any of the above items (or even farther away than Kellen wants her to) he goes to try and pick her up and move her back to where they were playing.

Did I mention that Tatum is now weighing in at almost 20 pounds?

So the sight of Kellen trying to (and successfully, I might add) picking up and moving Tatum to where HE thinks she needs to be is quite funny (at least most of the time). It's a good thing that infants are resilient. Tatum sometime resembles a puppy or kitten being carried around during these moments.

*sigh*

We're working on getting Kellen to actually STOP picking up his sister, but I think he's just so excited now that he can PLAY with her and hold her without the "real" fear of hurting her that it's overwhelming for him.

Did I mention that he just ADORES her? And that the feeling is completely mutual? Tatum thinks her brother hung the moon! When she is fussy, he just has to look at her and make a face and he'll have her laughing the most adorable belly laugh that you've ever heard.

It just makes my heart melt. I have to preserve these memories, because while I am hopeful that they will continue this oh-so-sweet relationship, I am also realistic....and a product of a big brother-little sister relationship myself. I KNOW that they won't always feel this way about each other...sibling rivalry is bound to happen...even if for a short time...but I trust that they will come around to this loving each other place again when they're older.

At any rate, I want to capture the essence of this relationship now...so I'll have something to look back on when they're telling me and their dad that they don't like each other - or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment