Friday, June 19, 2009

Final project status

Just in case you're wondering...the bedrooms didn't get finished. But, everything else on the list was completed.

WHEW!

I did a little "sprucing" before I left the house this morning, ran the dishwasher, and since Matt will most likely beat me home, he should be pleasantly surprised.

Might have been nice if I would have remembered to take out the trash, but hey...it's good enough, right?

My project reflections:
What really struck me throughout this project though, is how much pressure I put on myself. Yes, I gave myself a large project (for what I think is good reason - a nice gift for a reasonably small pocket-book price...a labor of love, a gift that cost time and effort, not $$$). But even as I reached completion of parts of the project, instead of feeling satisfied, I continually found things that I thought would be good to add to the list. WHAT's THAT ABOUT???

Instead of looking around and enjoying what I had done and accomplished, I looked around and thought, 'Well, the next to-do list I make should include the top of the TV, and I should really tackle cleaning out the closets, and....'

How did the perfectionism get so ingrained? And how long will it take for me to un-train and re-train myself to finish something and then REST, while waiting on direction from the Lord for HIS next project for me?

I might be overthinking things here, but hey...these are just my musings anyway...

1 comment:

  1. So when does he get home? I'm dying to hear what he thinks and how surprised he is!

    Oh and by the way, I am the EXACT same way. Instead of being satisfied and pleased with myself for things I accomplish, I always think about the time I wasted doing such and such...or whatever. And really, to most, it isn't a time waster (like I'm talking 5 min!), but to me, one minute wasted is a minute wasted. Why are we so hard on ourselves? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete