Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Productive Day

As my earlier post indicated, Jacey is in the midst of dealing with and (hopefully) recovering from hand-foot-and-mouth disease.

So as I normally do when I'm home with a sick one, I made a mental to-do list for myself.

The list; unfortunately, began with maintaining my patience.

*sigh*

Tatum and I had one of those mornings.  However, a big difference was that I was more focused on whether or not what she was doing really mattered.  What I mean by that is we talked in our Sunday School class this last weekend about keeping an eternal focus.  So my thoughts were focused more on how my response to her behavior would benefit us both eternally, rather than the specific behaviors.  Notice I indicated "more"...not that I didn't have issue with her behavior and choices.

This focus is something I must work on and continue.  I'm not saying that I reacted exactly the way I should have throughout the morning, but it was better than in the past.

At any rate, when I dropped her off at school we talked and she assured me that she was going to have a good day and make good choices.  My response to her was that if she did have a good day, that I would take her for a special treat.

As Jacey and I continued about our day, I was able to get quite a bit of 'stuff' done.  Stuff like 7 loads of laundry washed, dried, folded and put away.  (Don't think it's all that grand...I have another 2 loads waiting to be folded and put away, another load in the washer and one in the dryer). I had intended to demolish the laundry monster, but it didn't quite happen that way.

Stuff like heading to the office for a short bit, going to the doctors office, playing with Jacey, getting her down for her naps, doing laundry (see above), giving myself some solar therapy, then taking a jog with Jacey before picking up Tatum.

Tatum DID have a good day.  So we went to get some 'treats', as promised.  We first went to Wal-Mart and I let her pick out some nail polish.  She picked out purple and green sparkles.  They were $0.98, so I joined in and picked out a pink. 


So I did get some "Bon bons" today after all.  We also browsed the sale rack, and I picked her up a new lunch box.  It was $3.00...she was thrilled.

We then left and went to Chick-fil-A to pick up dinner.  We made it home and I started the movie - Cinderella, of course.  Tatum ate dinner while I dealt with feeding Jacey and getting her bathed and ready for bed.  After Jacey was down for the night, I painted Tatum's toes and fingernails purple.  When I was finished eating and the first coat of polish had dried, I then followed up with the glitter.

She was thrilled.

I mentioned something about pampering and she asked what that meant.  My response, "Pampering is what you do to be nice to yourself and make yourself feel good."

"Oh, she replied, "I like it when you pamper me."

It was a great and productive day.  And not because I put a dent in the laundry monster and was able to go for a jog, but because I accomplished my main goals.  The things that were really important - keeping Jacey comfortable and hydrated and providing positive reinforcement for Tatum just as swiftly as we normally administer punishment.

I want to have more days when I accomplish what is truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment