After the girls and I went to the library this weekend, I am reminded of just how much I enjoy reading.
Not that I have had any more time to read or anything, it was just a nice reminder that it's something I enjoy doing.
And I need to do things I actually enjoy a little more often.
So, considering that in the past oh, say 8 years or so, all that I've read has been the Bible, parenting books, organizational books (well, articles really), an occasional cook book (quit laughing), and my monthly magazines (more parenting things), I've realized that I'm in dire need of book direction. Now there's obviously nothing wrong with reading the Bible, and I certainly can stand to do more of that, but I'm looking to expand a little.
I'm in need of ideas, so I thought I would ask the following question.
"What books are on your current list of top 5 must-reads?"
Leave me some comments with your suggestions, because I've just figured out how to request books online. Yes, I know that is old technology, but what can I say...I'm been under a rock for the past 8 years. Or maybe it's more realistic to say under laundry?
At any rate, comment. Let me know about the books I've been missing!
I can't recommend a book to you unless I know what you like reading! If you're looking to read the kiddo stuff ahead of your big guy, a newer series that we've been working through is Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Pretty cool for the kids and teaches 'em stuff about Greek mythology in the process.
ReplyDeleteIf you liked books like Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables, as an adult you might enjoy the Ivan Doig series that starts out with English Creek. That's the latest adult book I read and loved.
I am such a nerd, but I LOVE talking about books! My favorites of all time (none of them are new to the shelf?!) are: Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Redeeming Love, The Hiding Place, The Josephine Bonaparte collection (3 book series)....All of these are page-turners! I have been looking for a light summer book too, and several people have recommended "The Help"...so I'm going to look into that one too. Hope you find one you love!
ReplyDeleteI will second, third, whatever "The Help". Wonderful book, and definitely on my top 5.
ReplyDeleteI also really loved The Hunger Games trilogy. Easy reading (because it's juvenile fiction, not because of the subject matter).
another one I'll recommend is "Three Cups of Tea" and the sequel "Stones to Schools".
And also, "Same Kind of Different As Me" and the sequel "What Difference Do It Make?"
In nonfiction, I really liked "Cinderella Ate My daughter". Just thought-provoking. And I've heard Dobson wrote "Bringing Up Girls" but I haven't read it yet.
Hope that helps! I love to read too. :)