Monday, August 08, 2005

Poo-poo problems

*Warning** This post not suitable for those that cannot stand hearing - er, reading, about bowel issues.

Poor Kellen. He's had poo-poo problems for most of his post-nursed life, and I guess even some before that, but I thought that we had those under control. Since his two-year check up, he's been getting daily, measured doses of prune juice, the only thing that really works for him. We started out with 6 oz, and after three days realized that was a little too much (sorry, Ms. Shannon), cut back to 4 oz, were on that dose for a while, then cut back to 3 oz, and I am realizing that maybe that's just not enough for him and perhaps we should try 3.5 oz. Before the check-up I was worried not only about this issue - very worried, in fact, but also worried about his consumption of dairy products, or virtual non-consumption, I should really say. So after consultation with the doctor, the daily dose of prune juice was decided upon. It's Mommy who has been playing chemist, trying to determine, with the input of his teachers at school of course, which dose is the proper dose that will allow him to actually consume dairy products and his beloved bananas and also GO.

Yesterday he started off the day with his "special juice" (4 oz of prune juice, 4 oz apple juice, & water), then had three or four sippy cups full of milk and today his belly hurts him. Poor guy. I just hate to see him hurting. Soon, very soon, we'll get this thing figured out for him...

1 comment:

  1. Tummy issues are the worst. Braden had not a single problem, but Landry had to start getting the juice cocktail pretty early in life. She loves cheese, but unfortunately that has to be limited. Our pedi told us to limit her milk to 1-2 sippy cups/day. Isn't it great that the moms always end up finding the way to make these things work out! We should all get to put an MD behind our name! I'm sure Misti would agree.

    ReplyDelete