Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tatum woes...

About two days ago I noticed something that looked like a bite on Tatum's middle finger on her right hand. I didn't think much of it at the time. I noticed yesterday that the area looked somewhat red, and then today even redder still...and as the day has gone on, it's gotten progressively redder...and is swollen and "tight"...and has begun (in my opinion, Matt doesn't agree) to "streak" down her knuckle and into her hand. She's also started to run a slightly elevated temp...(100.2 rectally).

I called our pediatrician's office, they took my information, put me on hold, talked with the dr on call, then told me they had no other appointment this afternoon and to take her into the ER. At this point, I'll defer to Matt and will agree that I'm probably overreacting somewhat, so I called the office back, was told that I can give her some Benadryl and to bring her in ASAP on Monday. (He made several good points regarding his argument not to take her into the ER based on her current condition...if that changes, we'll revisit).

I'll just keep an eye on her tonight and am glad that her appt is virtually first thing in the morning!

UPDATE:
Her temp was elevated slightly before - and then after (uh oh) her cool bath, so before bedtime she got some Tylenol. After her bath Daddy drew the outlines on her to mark the current redness so that we could tell if it's spreading, both on her hand and on her knee. Oh, and yes, to add to the fun, we noticed another spot on her knee. Again, it looks like an insect bite, but it's starting to get red and not looking all that great.

She was fussing at around 9, so she got some more Benadryl at around 9:30, and she settled back down again pretty quickly with another pacifier (hmmm...wonder why she was fussy, huh? lost pacifier, anyone?) and is back to sleep now. She seemed cool, but I didn't want to completely wake her up to take her temperature (she REALLY hates having her temperature taken - I mean REALLY).

10 hours until her doctors appointment....we'll see how it all goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment