I've learned that if Tatum doesn't think that her dinner and bedtime routine is happening at the appropriate time (approximately 6:00 PM for a start time), she will morph into someone elses child. Whose child she becomes I'm not quite sure...perhaps the child of revenge...you know, the "Just wait 'till you have children of your own child" that I've heard told to me a time or two...When I relay stories to my mom, sometimes during this "witching hour" as I'm trying to get her ready for bed amidst the screaming that ensues when you take her out of the bath too soon, although she's virtually falling asleep IN the bathtub - mom just laughs and says to me, "I know dear, I raised that child, too...the one who had to have HER ROUTINE and have it HER WAY. I know just what you're talking about honey."
But I sometimes forget those stories...the stories that my mom tells, although not too often, actually, about not being able to attend church on Sunday morning for years when I was little...initially because of nursing me and my nap schedule, and then because when I napped I HAD to nap in MY OWN crib or bed...at MY OWN designated nap time. I simply remember the stories about my stubborn streak and being the strong willed child - you know, the stories that get told at family gatherings OVER and OVER again...The ones that start out,
"Do you remember when Rebecca was little and she.....(insert story here)"
and end up with the entire family laughing and telling me how much of a handful I was as a child.
I have a feeling that I'm raising version 2.0 of that type of a child. She loves her routine - thrives on it, actually...is ready to start her entire bedtime ritual at 6 or 6:15, which starts with dinner and ends with me holding her next to her crib and then just laying her down with her paci and strategically placing her lovies, blanket and glow worm in her crib with her, telling her goodnight and walking out. That's it. But that's her routine.
And as much as I would, on some nights, LOVE to rock and snuggle and love on her, that just really makes her mad and messes her up big time for the night!
Did I create this creature of habit or was she simply born this way?
No comments:
Post a Comment