Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Well, well, well

Behaved, that is...

Kellen got sent home from school yesterday with a fairly low grade temp. He was acting fine last night, so I didn't worry much. He got ready for bed and I gave him a hug, noticed that he felt REALLY warm, so took his temp.

103.2...Um....gave him some Children's aspirin (I have NO idea WHY I gave him children's aspirin...not sure why I didn't give him tylenol first...I ALWAYS give tylenol first...dummy mommy moment, apparently...I had quite a few of those last night and I'll include them here to make you all feel better about YOUR dummy mommy moments), and took his temp again 20 minutes later.

Still at 103.2.

Matt was finishing up classes, and was getting not only his grade for his final, but his final grade in the class. I texted Matt after both times, and apparently the temps and lack of decrease in them warranted a return phone call, letting me know that he was on his way home and that if we couldn't get the fever to break that we very well might make a trip to the ER.

SIDENOTES: 1) Why did I give ASPIRIN??? 2) Why did I give ANYTHING aside from the normal Tylenol first??? 3) Why did I try a chewable medicine? For the first time? And not the drops that we normally give? 4) Why don't I go through our medicine cabinet on a more regular basis? I realized, after I gave him the medicine, that it had expired.....wait for it....

















in May of........















2005!!! I guess we bought it when he was born after I read some laundry list of all the medicines needed to bring a baby home from the hospital, then read something else that said don't use it, and didn't/hadn't, but just never threw it away. Apparently all of that escaped my mind last night and I used it anyway. Good gosh who knows??? What a dummy-mommy moment for me!! (See, told you that I would make you feel better about yourselves!)

At any rate....the aspirin took a bit longer than the tylenol normally does to break his fever, but it was started to come down slowly. I took it about 20 minutes after the 2nd time (total time lapse of about 40-45 minutes from initial temp) and it was at 102.7. Normally we notice at least a slight difference in the temp within a half hour after administering tylenol (infant drops). This medication that I gave was completely different than the norm (Again - what was WITH me???)

At any rate, his fever finally REALLY broke around 10:30...as in his sheets were SOAKED. So we moved him into the Sponge Bob couch that has set up permanent residence in our bedroom. He spent the rest of the night in our room with us and had NO problems at all. He woke up fine this morning with no sign of a fever, but with Matt on a 24, and today being Stage 1 of "projection graduation" - AKA the 1st set of grades for graduating seniors being due, I couldn't really miss (not to mention the fact that I had an exec board for which I'm now president, an administrative lunch for a faculty candidate we're interviewing, and an Education Committee meeting in which we reviewed over a half dozen degree plans for our graduate students, most of whom were blocked from registration from OGS - ARG!!). It just wasn't really a great day to miss work. (And yes, everyone in my department knows that my family comes first, just in case you're wondering.)

So, we loaded up quite a bit of stuff - DVD player, movies, colors & activity books, sponge bob couch, pillow & blankets, LeapFrog reading writing system, etc., and he came to the office with me.

Luckily, I had my annual performance review yesterday afternoon before I got the call to pick up Kellen, and it went well, so I kinda' feel "safe" right now. However, he was SO WELL BEHAVED that it didn't really matter!!

WHEW!!

I got lots of comments about him being in the office today, but NONE of them were negative...I'm sure glad that he behaved, though!! It would have the day much more difficult had he not...

Bottom-line, he's feeling MUCH better, and has shown no signs of fever at all today. So, not only was he well behaved, he's all around WELL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment