In liu of the first 6-weeks grades for Kellen, we had a parent-teacher conference yesterday. All-in-all, it went really well, and it seems that Kellen is doing exceedingly well academically in kindergarten. The ONLY thing that wasn't "checked" on his list was "Listens without interrupting" - and he comes by that honestly. *sigh* I'm realizing more and more just how often I have a tendency to interrupt, so I'm sure I'm not helping him with that issue. Plus, when his brain thinks of something, he wants to say it right then. He doesn't mean any disrespect, that's just how his brain works - the teacher even recognized that and said that she hesitated in not checking that particular area...
He already knows all of the 'sight words' that they've covered in class (the kindergarten list has a total of 20 words - they haven't finished all 20 of them yet, but the teacher expects them to finish those up quickly and move on to the first grade sight word list), and LOVES to point them out while we're reading books or even in conversation. He's LOVING to read...and getting really excited when he's recognizing words and is able to sound them out. I don't think it will be too terribly long before he's able to read simple books on his own, but we'll see. I want him to enjoy reading, so I certainly don't want to pressure or push him.
We discussed a variety of things, and I'll just sum up by saying that I'm SO GLAD that Kellen has the teacher that he does this year! She's just a perfect match for him and understands his temperment and personality wonderfully!
No comments:
Post a Comment