Yes...Kellen is reading.
We got our first "Take Home Reader" sent home on Friday, and I remembered it when I pulled it out of the backpack today (you know, before he went BACK to school - yes, flame me now, I can handle it).
So tonight, after getting home from his McDonald's treat and putting Tatum to bed, he and I sat down to read it. I read it to him ONCE and he had it down. Completely. I think I had to 'help' him once, because he wants to say 'puppy dog' instead of just 'dog', so we're working on pointing to the words on the page as we're reading.
He's getting SO excited about reading. He's calling out the sight words, he's devouring these books, and read that particular one to me at least a half dozen times. Then we had to call Grandma Gerren and read it to her, too...Considering she specialized in reading for her masters, I thought it highly appropriate...No, she doesn't work with it now, but I got my love of reading from somewhere, now didn't I?
I am just loving watching him learn...he's like a little sponge! His explanation of a period and an exclamation point is great. He can tell you the difference and 'show' you how you need to use the exclamation point. We had to work on that one since Tatum was asleep while we were reading...he really wanted to 'show' me by shouting as loudly as possible when reading the sentence. But he's understanding and comprehending and wanting more and more....
It's the same way he is about his memory verses for Awana's...he's got them memorized within 15-20 minutes or less. It's truly remarkable! And he'll tell you the previous weeks verse without us having to go over it. For instance, when he called to read to Grandma Gerren, he also recited the memory verse from two weeks ago (we haven't worked on it or practiced it since then, other than HIM saying it as he was practicing THIS weeks verse) and the one from this past Sunday.
I love it, I love it, I love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment