Well, IT happened. I really thought I would NEVER see the day. Yes, I typed NEVER in reference to this occurance.
My husband left an Aggie FOOTBALL game early.
Really.
Yes, you read what I typed correctly.
Pick your jaw up off of your keyboard now.
If you watched the Aggies vs Texas Tech yesterday, you'll know the part that I'm about to mention, if not...well, then what WERE you doing on a Saturday afternoon, anyway?
4th quarter, 5 minutes left...Aggies needed two scores to win (yes, I am almost an eternal optimist). We had the ball and it was 4th and 15. What play was called???
Wait for it...
THEY PUNT THE BALL!!!
Sure, we hadn't been able to stop Tech's offense all day long, but perhaps we can make that happen in the next minutes or so...in enough time to 1. stop them; 2. take the ball down the field for a touchdown; 3. kick and recover the onside kick and; 4. score again.
Um...I don't think so.
The WORST that could have happened (well, not the absolute worst, but bear with me on my rant), is that we DIDN'T get the 4th down and we had a turnover on downs. Did I mention that we were on the 50 yard line? So BIG DEAL!!! It wasn't much different than what happened ANYWAY.
Which was.....1. My husband subsequently getting so angry at the play call that he left the stands; and 2. Tech took about 4 and a half minutes to score (yes, ANOTHER SCORE, because hey, they're ranked and need to run up that score for the rankings, right?), leaving us with a grand total of less than 30 seconds to try and make something happen.
R-I-G-H-T
So ladies and gentlemen, what does that tell us? In MY humble opinion, it tells us that our coach wasn't calling plays to win. He was calling plays to try and not lose badly.
Heads-up, Sherman. That isn't what we hired you for!
Now, if someone has an opinion on another reason as to why he called that particular play at that particular time given those circumstances, I would be happy to hear it...Feel free to leave your comments. However, none of the guys that attended the game with our group could give me another explanation, nor could the call in show when Matt called in asking about that part of the game...I believe their response was slightly more "PC" but along the lines of, 'playing the odds, but that wasn't the right time to do it.'
Thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment