Monday, February 09, 2009

Big changes

So long containment, hello freedom! *Sigh*

If you've ready any of the latest posts here, you're probably guessing what happened.

Tatum got home on Friday night, and was already asleep, so Friday night was just fine. Saturday for nap; however, was an altogether different story. I returned for a quick trip to the store, after getting her down and Kellen all ready for nap, in time for Matt to ask me, "Guess who can climb out of her crib?"

I'll give you two guesses and I don't think you'll need the second one, huh?

I immediately went into mommy-panic mode...you know the kind. 'She can't stay one minute longer in the crib, it must be taken apart and she must go into a toddler bed, we have to do this NOW, she's not sleeping in that bed like that tonight, etc, etc.' All true statements, but they could probably have been said over the span of perhaps two minutes rather than two seconds...I dunno...

At any rate, our Saturday afternoon, clean up around the house and take a walk to the park plans changed rather dramatically...the kids and I ended up going to Rockdale to pick up the toddler bed that was being stored there. We left shortly after the kids woke up from their naps (much later than normal because hey...it took Tatum a while longer than normal to go to sleep - apparently a small feat of strength will do that to you - or maybe it was the small bump on her noggin from the climb/fall out of the crib that interfered with her sleep pattern?)

At any rate, we get there, my uncle and I get the bed, and Tatum is following us to the van as we are getting ready to load the bed and mattress. We stop and put the items down...Tatum didn't. She high-tailed it RIGHT into the metal foot of her new bed. In the eye. Thank God that it was at the height it was, because millimeters in either direction and I shudder to think of the damage that the metal rod could/would have caused her eye with the force of her collision. As it was, the top of the rod gashed into her eyebrow and the bottom bruised the area immediately underneath her eye.

I scooped her up and ran her into the house, with the blood pooling on her eyebrow and then dripping down her face and onto her shirt and shorts...bless her heart, she was just screaming her head off - and I don't blame her one bit! My uncle was running behind me, my aunt and Kellen were inside the house, and Kellen wanted to know what was wrong with his sister! My aunt isn't as mobile as she once was, and I'm sure it was upsetting her to no end that she wasn't able to help us. I had my head next to Tatum's and just kept repeating, 'Mommy's gonna fix it. Mommy's gonna make it all better.' I was able to stop the bleeding, then get Tatum calmed down enough to sit on my lab and let me hold ice on her eye for about five minutes or so. It's a nice cut, but not bad enough to need stitches. I do imagine that it will scar. So she'll have a scar in her eyebrow just like her mommy.

Good grief!

A few minutes later and she was running around asking for a snack like nothing had ever happened, so Praise the Lord that all things ended up like they did!

We got the bed loaded back up, and then made it back home in time for supper that Daddy made for us (YAY!). While the kids were eating, I cleaned up the bed and put it in Tatum's room. In the process, I did my fair share of crying. The room no longer looked like my baby's room. It had a toddler bed in it and looked like a toddler room. And it made me cry. Seriously cry. And I think it made my husband question my sanity. Although I'm not entirely sure about that one.

We introduced Tatum to her new bed (re-introduced, I guess I should really say) and she liked it (much better the second time around, really...). A short while later, it was time for bed.

Then the fun really began.

Due to our trip and getting the bed set up, we were about a half hour off of her normal bedtime, but I lost count of how many trips we made with her back to her room and to her new bed. After an hour and a half, I finally just went in her room, laid down in the bed with her, and patted her back until she fell asleep. (Don't judge - I had had enough!)

That worked fine. And she didn't get up. At least until 1:30 when we heard her screaming for Mommy at the baby gate we put across her door frame. So Daddy went to get her, and she spent the rest of the night in our bed, snuggled as tightly as she could get against me. She likes to snuggle tight and push. I felt like I was inches away from getting pushed out of my bed. And I don't have a really small bed!

Fast forward to Sunday nap and I think the time frame to get her down was about an hour and a half...I'm not sure what finally worked on that one, but I think it was just the Mommy-Daddy tag team combination that finally wore her down.

Sunday night we whittled the TTS (time-to-sleep) to down about an hour. We tried about 30 minutes of walking her back into her room and putting her back in bed, and then after than, I laid on the floor for a little while until she finally fell asleep. I actually think I did as well, so the full TTS might not have been a full hour - Matt came to get me at about 8:15.

Tonight was about 45 minutes. We did a few trips of putting her back to bed (maybe a half dozen or so), then I laid down in her room on the floor for about 15 minutes and she was out. I think that might have to be the plan we go with at least in the beginning, as it really seems to work with her!

On the Kellen treatment front, he seems to be doing well with this medicine. He was able to 'go' before bed tonight and said it didn't hurt at all. Praise the Lord! That's two days in a row, which is a blessing in and of itself.

On the Tatum potty front, she went all day today at school without any accidents. I'll just say a big WOW on that one. Still am not expecting it, but it's nice!

1 comment:

  1. What a big girl! I'm realizing how blessed I am with Joshua...he only climbs out of bed when he doesn't feel well (rarely)! He talks with his animals and looks at his night light till he falls asleep!

    ReplyDelete