Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's chili weather!

This weekend was certainly chili weather...cool and brisk. We had our windows open virtually all weekend long and it felt fabulous in the house (at least as far as we were concerned...we apparently froze Maw Maw out some during the day on Saturday).

After waking up to the gorgeous day that was Saturday (despite the rain and Kellen's final Upwards football game being scheduled), I decided it was definitely chili weather.

Now let me just say that my chili is NOT Texas chili.  My Yankee roots come out when making chili and I make it like my daddy makes it. And you know what, we're from up north, and that includes beans! Two different kinds, to be exact.

And before you give me any grief, it's award-winning chili!  I won a chili cook-off with the chili a few years back at the UESO Chili Cook-off....WITH beans and WITHOUT lots of spices, so there.

If you want to make this delicious goodness, here's how:

Brown the meat (I try to buy lean meat and drain the grease). I think I used a little over a pound on this batch and should have probably used two pounds.


Gather your ingredients...tomato sauce, beans, chili mix, and your good ole' trusty crock pot.

Pour the beans into a crock pot (For this batch, I used 2 cans each of pinto and kidney beans).


Mix tomato sauce (2 cans for this batch) and your chili mix (I use McCormick mild) in a pan, along with the browned meat, and bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.


Dump the meat/sauce mixture into the crock pot with the beans and stir well.  I normally 'doctor' up the batch with additional seasons, but I didn't do that this time.  Cook on Low Heat for a few hours or until you're ready to eat.


Serve over Fritos or with crackers, generously sprinkle your choice of shredded cheese on top, and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment