Monday, March 24, 2008

Cloth diapering...no longer an "optional" item

Well, little miss Tatum is recovering quite nicely (I think) from her ear infections. I still need to make a follow-up visit for those, as well as her 1 year well check this week for her. Remember I mentioned that the 1st antibiotic had given her a yeast infection diaper rash? Well, we had a cream to put on her to treat it...and when you have to put creams on, you are forced to switch to disposables, which we did.

Our thought was, switch while she was being treated for that nasty diaper rash, clear her up, then switch back.

Nice thought, and logical too, right?

*Sigh*

Well, in using our logic and our infinite wisdom (ha ha), what we did is make matters 100 times worse for our dear sweet girl. Instead of her dealing with just the yeast infection, which hadn't seemed to bother her, we ended up, unintentionally, of course, giving her a full-blown REGULAR diaper rash, too. And she doesn't just get a little bit of a diaper rash. It was so bad that her poor daddy was almost in tears when I showed it to him one night...red, raw, blistery, oh gosh...I don't even want to describe it.

At any rate...I decided to do an experiment to see if I could help - and I mean ACTUALLY help. The cream we had been putting on her at every diaper change (with the disposables) obviously wasn't doing to trick - we had been doing it for a little over a week and it was making matters worse, so I decided to switch BACK to cloth and stop the cream. I'm sure the daycare workers thought I was insane. We tried that out last Friday...

By mid-day on Saturday, her diaper area looked immensly better. And even better so on Sunday. Today, she looks almost completely cleared up, with just one or two little spots where the blisters were the worst.

My conclusion...cloth diapers are no longer an optional item in our household. We aren't cloth diapering to save money, because they're better for the environment, blah, blah, blah. We're now officially cloth diapering because my poor sweet Tatum's bottom CANNOT handle disposable diapers. Period. The rest of the things just happen to be bonuses.

I am completely and truly amazed at how she has reacted to my little experiment. Even Matt is amazed and completely sold that she can't wear disposables...Her little hiney just can't take 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment