Monday, March 03, 2008

So THAT explains it!

Well, the verdict is in. I actually called the doctors office on Saturday, ready to take Tatum in to be seen by whomever was on call but the nurse that I spoke with actually suggested to ride it out. This was after asking if she was eating and sleeping - answer was "yes" to both questions. They suggested to bring her in on Monday or Tuesday if she was still running a fever.

Knowing what I know now, I'm sorry that I did. But, I was following the advice, so I guess I can't beat myself up too much about it.

The poor thing has a doozy of a double ear infection, (so much so that we got a "WHOA" and a "Oh yeah, Wow!" from the doctor after he checked her ears) AND, while wrestling with her to clean out her crusty nose this afternoon, I discovered that she got her 5th tooth in today (2nd upper right tooth) and the 6th is not far behind (2nd upper left tooth). I didn't even know that she was cutting any more teeth. I had, in the back of my mind, suspected it, but not verbalized it.

Add teething two more teeth (in addition to the two that she cut about a week and a half ago) to the double ear infections and it's no wonder she's been miserable! I can't explain the cough and/or runny nose - and described both in detail to the doctor while I was there this afternoon (think: being "slimed" by Slimer from the Ghostbusters was what I actually told him in terms of its consistency and basically, its color) - but he said that her chest sounds are clear.

So, it's a round (10 days) of amoxicillin. Only her second, which is great in my book. I can't remember how many rounds Kellen had been through at this point in time.

Last night was just horrible with her...it took her a GOOD 2 1/2 hours for her to finally go to sleep. She was just miserable. Neither the "mommy" nor the "maw maw magic" was working. At all. And it was breaking both of our hearts in the process.

After over two hours of trying, I finally just laid her down in the pack-n-play and let her cry. I couldn't give her any more medicine than what was in her system (we had been alternating Tylenol and Motrin, and I even added teething tablets *just in case* - considering what I discovered today, it was a good thing I did, huh?). After a little less than a half hour, she was tuckered out and slept soundly all night long.

I'll post about her birthday party and add pictures and video later...She did so well! In spite of not feeling well...

No comments:

Post a Comment