Monday, March 03, 2008

To my dear Tatum - sweet birthday girl

To my dear Tatum - sweet birthday girl,

I can't believe that it's been a year since I first met you, sweet Tatum. Wow!

I remember overhearing the doctor tell the nurse in the main office to call and schedule my induction, and then hearing the added words "non-elective". Those words scared me, and although a part of me knew it was precautionary, it still made me realize the doctor thought things were bad enough to not give me a choice about going into the hospital to have you on that Friday night...we weren't waiting on you to decide to come out anymore. And it was a long Friday night...not as long as some labors, but still a long night. And then Saturday morning came and you were here!

My biggest regret through it all was actually going through with that stinkin' epidural. If I would have known that 1) you would have been coming barely an hour after they had given it to me, or 2) it wouldn't have taken completely or that 3) even with it, I wouldn't have been able to get any sleep, I never would have gotten it. Actually, any of those three things and I would have changed my mind.

But you know what, in the end it doesn't matter. You got here, and you were ok. You were fine, actually - more than fine...you were perfect. With a full head of hair to boot!

You started out so small, so fragile, so tiny...you were engulfed in the clothes that we had waiting for you - they just swallowed you up - and they were newborn and 0-3 month size! But you caught up quickly and now, you have gotten so big! You're so smart, so advanced (and you're keeping us on our toes and have been for some time now), getting so independent and your personality is shining through more and more each and every day. You are truly such a joy and a delight to be around. You have a definite stubborn streak, oh yes, dear - you do...it's already apparent that you and your mommy are going to butt heads some in the years to come, but it's simply part of what makes you so special. (But I beg of you, please don't be just like your Mommy and have to learn everything the hard way. Please.)

I adore watching you with your brother. It is so sweet to see the look on your face when you see him...it's so completely obvious that he totally enthralls you - and that he is one of your favorite people. Please don't ever forget that he absolutely adores you - and has from day #1....and even since before that, actually. There will be a time, possibly, probably, when you don't feel that way about him and you think he never felt that way about you. Hopefully that time will be short-lived, but truly; the two of you adore each other - and I have the super secret footage and tons of cute pictures to prove it. :)

As for your birthday party...well, despite not feeling well, you had such a blast! You opened your presents.
Then you ate the oreos off of your birthday cake. Notice that I didn't say you ate your birthday cake, right? You didn't really eat much of your birthday cake...Daddy fed you some, but for the most part, you just wanted the oreos, and grunted at anyone who tried to take them out of your hands. It was hilarious to watch!


Then you got all cleaned up, put another adorable birthday outfit on, and played some more with all of your guests. You were a very good hostess! (If you can't tell from the picture, the onesie says "Birthday Princess" on it.


Here is Kellen and D eating some of the bear birthday cake. Apparently it was pretty good!



And of course, we had to dress up our Tree Friend for the party! Here's a picture of him all festive.


Here is Tatum early this morning playing with Kellen in her new playhouse. It has a doorbell, a mailslot, and a phone! It's adorable, and they BOTH love it. I think they'll get years of enjoyment of our this present! Great job, Maw Maw and Paw Paw!


No comments:

Post a Comment