Well, for those of you who don't know, Kellen hasn't quite made it to the completely night-trained world yet. And we're ok with that. At one point in time I was somewhat stressed about it (shocker, yes, I'm sure), but am now just really and truly letting him go at his own pace for when he's physically ready. I've discovered his issue is not a battle of wills, (well, at least not 100% of the time) it's more a physical thing...he's a fairly hard sleeper and I just don't think he's been able to know when he's going (once he's actually asleep, that is).
Back to the point of this post.
A few days ago he tells me that he doesn't have any pull-ups. *ARG* He's supposed to let me know when he's running out so I can be sure and get more, but either he forgot to tell me or I wasn't listening when he did. At any rate, it was nighttime and he didn't have pull-ups to wear to bed. So we improvised, as we sometimes have to do in a pinch, and he wore a pair of his sisters large fuzzibuns to bed that night. He was laughing about it, put his clothes on, and walked around remarking about how big his booty was.
Uh huh...It really bothered him, huh.
Well, for one reason or another I didn't get a chance to get pull-ups that next day, and we were in the same situation on night two (oh wait, it was Saturday...there's your reason right there!). So another one of his sisters diapers it was...only this time along with the remarks about how big his booty looked there were a couple about how it smushed his "man parts". Now why these smushed it and the pull-ups don't I'm not quite sure...But apparently there is a difference.
Move to night three and there's more of the same, didn't get a chance to go to the store and get pull-ups (and yes, I will say by this point in time I was wondering if I even should....), and Kellen was getting ready for bed. When I asked him what we were going to do about his pull-up, he proclaimed, "I'm just gonna wear my undies to bed tonight, Mommy."
It was the first time in a L-O-N-G time that he had JUST wanted to wear undies to bed, so he and I had a long talk about getting up and going to the bathroom, not pee peeing in the bed, etc, etc. So I decided to try it. (Sure, what's the harm, right? I had all weekend to try this and didn't, so why not try it out the night before I'm headed back to work, right? LOL)
Anyway, he went to bed around 8, and before I went to bed I took him to the bathroom and he went again (so close to 10), Matt did the same when he was through studying, and I did it again before I went running this morning (only he wasn't able to actually go then). When he woke up for good this morning, he and the bed was still dry.
HE MADE IT!!!
He says that he doesn't remember Matt nor I taking him to the potty, but that he got up himself a couple of times and went to the bathroom. So it doesn't seem like his bladder can make it all night, but if he's waking up to go, that's ok, I guess!?
Matt and I were just so stinkin' proud of him! Now, we aren't naive enough to think that we're in the clear...but we were just really happy for him for the first night that he tried it. So, as a reward (and I made it clear that he wasn't getting a reward for every night that he was dry - this was just extra special), he got to pick the dining location of his choice tonight...
Any guesses on where we went??
Yup...Ronald McDonalds...AKA McDonald's.
So we'll see how tonight goes! Wish him luck!
That's great news! I'm beginning to wonder how Brooke will ever be able to do it too? Continued success for Kellen I hope! :)
ReplyDelete