Wednesday, January 12, 2011

De-cluttering

Matt and I worked on cleaning up the house this past weekend, putting away the Christmas decorations, doing laundry, just generally trying to get cleaned up and organized.

My goal for the weekend (specifically Sunday) was to get 100 'things' out of the house.  I didn't reach my goal, so I'll continued to work on it this week.  Unfortunately, it's now Wednesday and I haven't moved much more towards my goal in the evenings.  We started cloth diapering Jacey this week so my evenings have been consumed more with housework and laundry.

I'll get there.

I think.

Maybe.

But if not, it's ok.  Because it's the process that's important, not necessarily reaching the finish line with this one.  If my ultimate goal is to really evaluate my things to determine if they're important to me, then it's that process that's really important to me.  I've been inspired by several blog posts on minimalism.  I have no lofty goals to only wear 33 articles of clothing for a month or to only own 100 items, but the core of what many of them speak to has resonated with me.

My take on it - Keep what you love and love what you keep.  

I think it all goes back to being a good steward of the things the Lord has entrusted to me.....and sometimes I think that not only means taking care of things, but realizing when they're no longer needed for you.  Hoarding isn't what I'm striving for here (those items can bless someone else!).  I am by no means going to be featured on the next episode of America's Messiest House (or whatever new reality show is dealing with hoarders), but I know I have too much stuff.

I know I do.

So I'll probably chronicle my attempt to release some of these items.

Sunday total = 46
  • 14 outfits/pieces of clothing
  • 17 magazines (sorted and pulled articles out to keep)
  • 13 items of maternity clothing that no longer need to be in my closet (can I get a WHOOP on this one?)
  • 1 cap
  • 1 shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment